Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Default BPM Click and Note Resolution question

I've heard that no question is a dumb question so I'm gonna ask this. :) It really may be a dumb question because I cant find any threads on it.

I am confused on how the note resolution works with click tracks.
I set the bpm for 70bpm for example with quarter note resolution in 4/4 for a select number of measures. Lets say 80 measures.
When I change the note resolution to 1/8 notes I expected it to just give me twice as many clicks (i.e. two clicks for every beat) but it does in fact also change the pace of the bpm for some reason. Meaning that if I set a tempo change after 80 measures, the actual min/sec point in the song for the tempo change changes even if I change just the note resolution and nothing else.

All I want is my bpm to stay the same but to be able to manipulate the amount of clicks per measure. For example I want two clicks for every time the beat count goes up one (8 clicks for every bar or measure).

It also seems to work backwards compared to what I understand about music. The click actually slows down going to 1/8 notes from 1/4 notes and speeds up going from 1/4 notes to 1/2 notes. I'm lost.

What am I misunderstanding? Hopefully my question makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

www.reverbnation.com/jmaccadillac
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 AM

Default Re: BPM Click and Note Resolution question

change your tracks from tick to sample or vice verse.
www.linkedin.com/in/marrakechprod
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm3047395
------------------
Mac Pro 2.8, 8 Core,16 GIG Ram, PT HD 10 - 12. Mac Book Pro 2.6 Retina 16 GIG Ram, Artist Control/MIX.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM

While I don't see how that would affect the tempo ruler and I'm not having my actual audio being affected, I will try that when I get home this evening since no one else has any ideas to share.

Thanks for the thought.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM

in my session all tracks are tick based and when I change the click in 4/4 to 8th note
I get a 8th note click. Doubled the clicks in 8 from 4 in a 4/4 metric.
If you want to change your metronome resolution, for example, after 80 bars, you open the change meter menu and change from 4th note to 8th note at bar 80.
Works fine also in Sample based tracks.
So.....after testing, no issues like you described.
No tempo change, right ? bpm stays the same, only metronome resolution change from 4th to 8th note !!! . .......Working perfect here.
------------------
Mac Pro 2.8, 8 Core,16 GIG Ram, PT HD 10 - 12. Mac Book Pro 2.6 Retina 16 GIG Ram, Artist Control/MIX.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

The confusion is that there are two places to set the click resolution. Matt, you're changing the note value underneath the meter designation and to the left of the numerical tempo display, right? What you want to do is open the meter change dialog, and select 8th note there. P. 736 in the Ref Guide.

If you change the one next to the tempo it does that weird thing you're talking about. That setting is for how many of that value occur per minute. So:

1/4 note 4/4 @ 120 bpm

behaves as expected - you get 120 quarter note beats per minute grouped into 4 quarter note beats per bar. If you change that to

1/8 note 4/4 @ 120 bpm

you still get four quarter note beats per bar, but at a rate of 120 eighth notes per minute. So your actual tempo is 60 bpm. Very confusing. To be musically correct, the tempo ought to automatically cut in half. Either that, or the meter should update to 8/4 and continue to play at the same tempo. The way it is, you can force it into a false dilemma where it thinks it has to choose between two evils (and chooses the more evil of the two!).

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys! Meter menu was the key. Marrap said it but I didnt catch it until David laid it out like he did. Resolution and Density in Tempo ruler were confusing me.

I even read the reference guide before posting on here but I guess I just looked in the tempo part. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen. :)

Now I just need to figure out some of the settings in TL Metro that are throwing me cause it's got better sounds than the Digi click, and then I'm golden.

Thanks again to both of you.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM

One more quick question just in case someone knows:

When using the TL Metro plug in (whether I have it linked to Transport or both Transport and Tempo) as soon as I hit my first tempo marker in the session I can no longer get the accent just on the first beat of the measure. I get the accent on every beat.
I can get 8th notes obviously by using the 8th note slider in the plug in even though the plug in changes to 1/4 notes right at the first tempo marker even when the meter in Pro Tools is 8th notes, but the accent will still be every beat in the measure which is not what I want.
Whats weird is that before I hit the first tempo marker in the session it totally follows the meter and gives me accents on just the first beat of the measure which is what I want even after the tempo marker. This happens no matter how far into the session I move the tempo marker so I am positive it is related.

Unfortunately there is no whole note slider in the plug in to act as a work around.

My Digi click is working excellent after the tips from David and marrap and follows the meter prefectly even after tempo markers.

Any ideas? Hopefully I described my dilemma well enough to understand.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Sorry for my horrible english !! ...and I am not the sharpest knife in the kitchen of explaining things in english. But you got it, that’s important.
With Metro I have the same issue, when it passes a new meter/tempo marker it looses the accents from the own settings and takes the settings of the Change Meter Menu.
Had not the time to check out the different options how metro is affected by the Meter menu and by the click settings. Bit confusing ?!?!
Wolfgang
------------------
Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM

Sounds like a bug in TL Metro. I'd never checked it out before, finding the Digi click to be adequate so far. Now that I've messed around with it, I can see the appeal. Too bad about the bug.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM

Prob a stupid question but im making some tempo changes but the click track isn't keeping in time with it???? I clicked the resolution drop down from the tempo ruler menu and choose follow metronome but still no joy, anyone know why???