Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Upgrade opinions please

The time has come for me to move from a rock-solid PT v. 5.3.2 (HD2) / OS 9 / on a G4/733 with SCSI & FireWire external drive chains. Moving to OS X 10.3.x / G5 / PT v.6.7 / Accel.

Some basic strategic decisions need to be made regarding the hardware upgrade. The system is geared for post-production music. Maximum track count is a top consideration . Advice from veterans would be greatly appreciated.

1) Which computer: G5 2.0 or 2.5? Prevailing opinion so far seems to lean toward the 2.0 model on the basis of stability & price vs. performance.

2a) It seems my current ATTO SCSI card must either be replaced with one compatible with the upgrade - or I need to abandon SCSI entirely in favor of FireWire drives. FireWire drives are easier to deal with, quieter, and much more economical in terms of storage. But - would this result in lower track count (or lesser performance) than with SCSI drives?

2b) Also - my current system runs Protools sessions from a SCSI drive while Quicktime plays back from a FireWire drive. Would system speed suffer by running both audio and Quicktime on the same FireWire chain (even though audio & video would each have its own FireWire drive)?

3) Any other issues I need to consider?

Many thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Upgrade opinions please

These are my questions as well. Anybody?

thanks,

-R
Old 12-07-2004, 11:52 AM

There is probably many opinions on this, BUT I went from g4 433mhz mix 3 scsi atto ect to, G5 dual 2 ghtz, a gig of ram on each and got a nice Hd2 with 2 internal disk's and 2 * 250 giga firewire 800 disk's.No scsi her at the moment. I mix music and film, and run about 100 tracks ex busses pr session. no problems here. movies at 20 to 50 giga through canopus firewire port. Loads of plugins, much headroom, exellent performance and nice sound. I say go ahead. go g5 and hd. It truely rocks..
but hey -- probably many other inputs to come.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM

Hello,

My G5 2ghz dual 2 gig ram HD3 is giving me 100 tracks from the internal sata drive with no problems! almost double the track count i was getting with my g4 1gig dual MDD.

Regards
Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.