Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Default mutes make me feel like i don\'t know how pt works

it is so damn frustrating. I have a freaking D-control here, and I still can't control my mutes. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I have been using protools since version 2.5, and I still can't figure it out.

I always turn mute auto enable off. I simply want to play a section and selectively control what i hear so I can audition stuff. I mute 18 stereo tracks and hit play. It works for a short while, and I can unmute what I want to hear, but then, a few seconds in, for some reason, random tracks unmute themselves. There are no breakpoints in the mutes, and as I said, mute automation is always off. If I get to the end of a section, and hit play again, all the tracks unmute themselves. AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!
If I suspend automation, it behaves, but then I don't get my volumes, which I need.

it looks like a piece of hardware, but it sure doesn't act like one. Any thoughts?

thanks

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-20-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: mutes make me feel like i don\'t know how pt works

You're confusing enabling mute automation (recording it) and Playing back mute auto. Try command Clicking on the mute auto playlist to grey it out. There must be breakpoints somewhere for it to unmuting like that.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:38 PM

I had a similar issue. It started by importing tracks from another session. The imported tracks carried their own mute breakpoints with them. A DUC post by jeremyroberts provided the solution.

Try this:
For each track, view the MUTE Automation in the edit window. Select all the data (mute breakpoints) in the track - use cmd-A for select all, then delete. You can do all tracks at once if you opt-shift select "mute" view in the edit window. So now you're looking at the tracks in MUTE view. "Select all" on all tracks for the entire length of the song. If you're not sure how long the song goes, drag all the way to the right until you can't drag anymore. But select all is better. DELETE.

This should solve your problem. You have a mute breakpoint written in there... you have to delete it.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:35 PM

Has anyone noticed that since PT 7 when you change the TC Start time of your session, a breakpoint will be written at the old TC start time, even if you have all automation enables OFF?? This is super annoying and backwards, and certainly has put me in the same situation as you. Pro Tools needs and "Erase all [mute, pan, volume, etc] automation" command.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: mutes make me feel like i don\'t know how pt wo

exactly