Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Not Getting Any Sound Out Of Pro Tools (mac Osx)

whats going on fellas. i'm just not getting any sound out of my session. This may help and i hope that this is a common problem, but when i'm playing the session and i'm hearing no sound, a display that says "CPU usage is holding off USB audio. Remove some plug-ins delete some tracks or increase H/W Buffer size in playback engine dialog."

I upped the buffer size but apparently that didnt do anything. I have a macbook pro (10.4.7) and i do have quite a bit of things already on here including programs like safari, yahoo im, garageband, logic, and limewire. Im thinking that may be the problem but im not really sure. I didnt know that alot of space was needed for the audio to work (if that is the case). Some help fellas
Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Not Getting Any Sound Out Of Pro Tools (mac Osx)

When you get that dialog, the session has stopped playback cause of a cpu overlaod/buffer underun error. This can be caused by a number of things like too many plugins, too low of a buffer size, to much bandwidth being used on your usb, an incompatable plugin, etc...

Do you have a lot of plug ins running on your session? Try disabling your plugins and see if your session plays back.

Does it do this with every session? or only on certian ones?

What is your hardware/software setup?

Are you running any of these other programs at the same time as PT? In order for PT to have full resources of the comp. I would suggest not running any other programs when working in PT.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:50 AM

Well... Try close the other programs then...?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 AM

Yes, close all your other programs! That will be part of the issue.

Updating to 10.4.8 might not be a bad idea either for general overall stability. Don't update to 10.4.9 though yet - do a search at apple.com/support/downloads for the OSX 10.4.8 Combo Updater, download it, run it, then repair permissions.