Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 AM

Default We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Avid - I have been using Pro Tools since it was Sound Tools. I have bought every system Digidesign has ever produced. I currently own 3 versions of these systems (system 5.1, system 8.1 and system 10), and that's just at my home! I totally understand your desire to sell CARDS that get placed into desktop systems, as from a cost/profit point of view this is the best place to START. What I am hoping is that you actually ARE working on a one box solution to address the Thunderbolt/laptop community. The idea that I will be shelling out real money for an outdated Mac tower in this day of 48 track recording using iPads is just plain crazy. If it doesn't work with the new MacBook Pro laptops, it will never see the light of day in my studio. I don't care what it cost, I only care that it reflects the way I work. I am no longer going to be tied to big boxes and external monitors/mice/synths to be able to deal with audio. Give me something that I want to buy(!) and I will buy it! 3000 tracks and a hint of better sound quality doesn't cut it for me anymore. I will use the older systems until I find you are getting with the program. So far, it looks like stumbling to me.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 AM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Are you aware of the various solutions coming out such as the PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis? These would be the most portable solution for the near future, and allow you to do pretty much what you're talking about.

It may be a while before they convert the cards to a thunderbolt box. Remember, it's not just for connections, there's processing on the cards as well.

The PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters are all scheduled to come out this month. They include a 3 slot version by Magma ($979), then a 2 slot and 1 slot version from Sonnet ($799 and $599), and a 1 slot version from M-Logic ($399).
Old 06-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

The PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters are all scheduled to come out this month. They include a 3 slot version by Magma ($979), then a 2 slot and 1 slot version from Sonnet ($799 and $599), and a 1 slot version from M-Logic ($399).
And these will be the solution for the foreseeable future.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Rme and Lynx already have drivers for their cards, come on Avid, you're a bigger company, with more resource (I think ?) Let's get drivers for the HD Native and HDX cards, you'll get more people getting these cards if you do, laptops are a major work flow,IMO…

MBP Quad Core, 16gig ram, 720Gig 7200 Hybrid drive, UAD Apollo Quad, PT 9.06 HD, Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34, thunderbolt ready!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM

So the idea has taken hold by a competing company. http://www.emusician.com/news/0766/u...-apollo/149516
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 AM

That was announced in January.

And UA doesn't make a DAW, so I wouldn't consider them a software competitor.

BTW, their plugins are the best I've EVER heard. Really amazing.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I seriously doubt that, Avid understands the value of this, which is why they came out with HDN thunderbolt. Why in the world would they not want a piece of that pie, especially considering the fate of the MACPRO today? IF they do not address this, they are crazy, and I don't think they are.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM

You're quoting a statement I made 10 months ago. The foreseeable future has come and gone.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Unfortunately the 1 slot version from Sonnet and the M-Logic box are only for half length PCIe cards, HDX cards are still full length.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Avid wasting money and time engineering a Thunderbolt box that would amount to a PCI card in a chassis is just plain dumb* and we'd all pay for it. Next. :)

*unless it included I/O but then you'd lose the ability to configure a system to your liking and you'd basically have an Omni with DSP and a Thunderbolt port. Which I wouldn't be interested in.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.