Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Why aren't hardware devs taking AAX seriously?

This is the most frustrating thing about PT to me.. Believe me, after testing and many years of actually using all the crapternatives out there like creeper and digital unperformer, as well as illogic and Poobase, Pro tools is the Godsend of daws I was waiting for.

But no matter what, synth devs don't seem to care less about it. I have seen so many topics at access asking for the virus plugin to be AAX, spanning back 5 years and they just don't care. Midi quest who makes the only all purpose "for any hardware synth" midi editor PLUGIN, is still on 32 bit but only AU and VST.
The editors for the Dave smith stuff.. AU and VST...
Roland's official integra editor - AU and VST.
Heck even roland's cloud with their official hardware emus of their own gear - au and vst.(this one actually tempts me to use logic from time to time for the D50).

Third party editors for various synths.. almost all are vst and au only.

What is the deal? Is the pro tools userbase that small to them, or are these people actually stupid? I think the latter is the answer here, they just don't get it. Pro Tools users PAY for their daw and PAY for their plugins. We ALL want to avoid using blu cat patchwork as a workaround.

And don't get me wrong, all i can do IS use patchwork, so i can get the virus control and integra editor into Pro tools. But there are some pretty severe workarounds.. a lot of gui space is wasted cause 2 guis must always be open. Automation has no descriptions for the parameters assigned, you just set control numbers. How to know what each control number relates to on the fly, in my memory, when automating a bunch of parameters.. well.. not so easy.. especially if going back to a song after a hiatus.

But the worst of all, i have a persistent nasty bug with patchwork where automation sometimes just doesn't catch when loading a song and playing back. I literally have to open patchworx, and un-assign and reassign each control. All the automation that is already there in the pro tools timeline, suddenly then starts working to perfection. So it HAS to be a patchwork issue, since it only happens with, um, stuff being automated in patchwork (or MB-7 from the same company).

It absolutely amazes me, that i have 15 hardware synths that have editors, and not ONE of them is native AAX. Not one.
I have written to each and every developer and posted on their forums where available and never gotten one positive result.
What gives? Are we that meaningless to these fools?

Discuss if interested.. i find this quite fascinating personally, but understand those who don't.

peace.