Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Default Rookie suggestions for broadcast DSP

New to audio processing. What I'm trying to do is improve my voice audio for injecting into an AM transmitter. Others are using rack gear but the best ones are using PT. I have a MBP or I might buy another Mac just for this. Trying to be economical till I figure this out. I guess I m not sure where to start. What would experienced users say. Laptop, mbox mini 2 or a 3rd gen and do I really need the latest PT version. Right now we are limited to how the radio limits the vocal spectrum, so we bypass the audio chain and widen the filters to 6khz. So I am still limited in bandwidth , but several guys are achieving that big sound, FM like. PT 8 or 10LE with a lot of plugins. We don't use the recording part of the software, will I need a standalone machine? What are the big differences between the versions, 8,9,10,11 & LE or full version? Is there a better way for live vocal. Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Rookie suggestions for broadcast DSP

You can accomplish what you want to do with any of the versions you listed and the stock plugins it comes with. Eq, compression and limiting are all the tools you need. Though keep in mind, regardless of the software tools, if you want that big broadcast sound, it starts with a mic like an RE20 or SM7B.

Parroted on my iPad with Tapasquawk.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Awe come on your gonna force me into an Electro voice too. Those are pretty nice, maybe after I spend some time learning PT. SM58 for now. Multiband processing, 150% positive,95% neg. modulation. Will windows PT session files transfer over to Mac PT?

What is the difference in the mini2 and the mini 3, they were pretty specific on using the 2. It wasn't explained exactly why. I will be the first Mac and PT user in this application of our group.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Plummer View Post
Will windows PT session files transfer over to Mac PT?
Yes. The only difficulty you might have is opening a PT 10 or 11 file (ptx) in 9 or earlier (ptf). If you want to do this, you have to save the session as a backward compatible version.

Quote:
What is the difference in the mini2 and the mini 3, they were pretty specific on using the 2. It wasn't explained exactly why. I will be the first Mac and PT user in this application of our group.
At this point, there is no practical difference between the two other than the Mbox 3 Mini will be supported longer into the future.

Parroted on my iPad with Tapasquawk.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Mono button is the difference between the mini2 and the mini3. Only a minor over site in th 3 but does limit output options and you will need to sum it ITB before injection

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM

I don't see a thanks button??? But anyways big one for the quick replyz. So the 3 doesn't have a mono button, I'm assuming to "sum" it is just a click away, or maybe this is why they recommended the 2. I read that the 2 for Mac is not 10 or 11 compatible , if I read that correct on the avid site.

Everyone wants that big audio, but I/we am/are more into a very clean signal and quality sound. Learning how to use the tools in the software will be the tough task. It's difficult to monitor how you sound on everyone else's receivers "accurately" and hearing the changes you make live.

Also does the iLok key come with both versions, from what I gather so far its required.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post

At this point, there is no practical difference between the two other than the Mbox 3 Mini will be supported longer into the future.

From what I understood, the 3rd generation Mbox has vastly improved converters over previous generations.

Avid were making a big thing about the converters now being the same across their I/O range, HD - Mbox.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Plummer View Post
New to audio processing. What I'm trying to do is improve my voice audio for injecting into an AM transmitter. Others are using rack gear but the best ones are using PT. I have a MBP or I might buy another Mac just for this. Trying to be economical till I figure this out. I guess I m not sure where to start. What would experienced users say. Laptop, mbox mini 2 or a 3rd gen and do I really need the latest PT version. Right now we are limited to how the radio limits the vocal spectrum, so we bypass the audio chain and widen the filters to 6khz. So I am still limited in bandwidth , but several guys are achieving that big sound, FM like. PT 8 or 10LE with a lot of plugins. We don't use the recording part of the software, will I need a standalone machine? What are the big differences between the versions, 8,9,10,11 & LE or full version? Is there a better way for live vocal. Thanks
Something to keep in mind is staying within FCC bandwidth and modulation limitations. If you're going to buy another Mac just to do this you're better off going with purpose built rack gear.

QAPLA!