Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-25-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Please vote to split the yearly fee for HD

I guess I don't get the request. If you have any form of credit worthiness, you can split the payment with no interest for 12-24 months easily from any dealer. Is that not splitting the yearly fee? Plus wait for a discount (seems they are going to be a regular thing.) I just tacked an extra year on after the last discount since my "renewal date" won't coincide with any known sale periods. "Auto-renew" will never be turned on because of that business practice.

If the request is for a "subscription" version of HD where you lose access if you don't pay monthly, I really don't get it. Means you don't have any hardware that requires it. At the point, just get vanilla. I'd see no point in losing access every few months if it isn't affordable for that month.

So, yeah, can imagine 18 votes and thousands of looks.

(Do I like a yearly payment? H*ll no. But price wise it comes out close to what the old updates cost every few years-- but it only matters if Avid keeps adding useful features. There was a very long drought of nothing for HD users and vanilla just getting HD features. That really stunk for us higher payers. But that's a different issue. Also, I guess you'd consider me in the camp that Rectifried mentions -- it's just another business expense.)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 PM

the request is to not pay for the part you dont use.. and Pay for updates subscription
they split it with vanilla
why not HD
I have both I didnt update the HD since the "penalty" is 800 dollars
thats not
nothing..
to me

PT 2019.5, macpro 12 core trashcan 64 gigram, MBP i7 9,1 16gig ram OS 10.12.3.. TB UA Apollo16 SSD's [samsung],
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Oh I see. They want to split the service plan from the upgrade plan.
Yeah, that's never going to happen.

The CEO of Avid's bonus was based on him selling service plans (even while the stock was plummeting to penny stocks and delisting.) They've been trying for a long while to get HD users to pay like Media Composer facilities pay for support plans. They were trying to get HD users on service contracts before PT12. Pro Tools users are very used to not having "support" plans so everyone would drop it if they split this no matter what size of facility. We've been used to being without for so long and having local people deal with it. And Avid would just make up the loss of revenue by increasing the "upgrade" plan cost. One way or another they'll take their pound of flesh -- just a matter of what you want to call it.

From Avid's point of view, it's good for their book keeping.

(and they never targeted "vanilla" users back in the day -- considered too much of bedroom/entry to try to get service contracts out of them; explains the split now)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:11 AM

I lapsed in my grace period and now have to cough up $999.00 not good. Man I hate this new subscription model. I like the old way better, I have been using protools since PT 6 and have 2 licenses. Avid should really be looking to be more competitive in this saturated market or it would be fine if the updates were killer. Really some basic stuff is missing from protools. I paid for a subscription and the updates didn't really bring much in 12 that I have been able to make part of my work flow all though a few cool things but come on man if you going to be hefty make the updates good. Most of the updates have not been for my type of work, glad other people are getting some stuff though.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 AM

Default Please vote to split the yearly fee for HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawili_Sound View Post
...... it would be fine if the updates were killer.

..... I paid for a subscription and the updates didn't really bring much in 12
but come on man if you going to be hefty make the updates good.
This right cheer

Everyone is talking about if its expensive or just another reasonable expense - people don’t mention that if it’s awesome it would be worth it and more people would stay
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I guess I don't get the request. If you have any form of credit worthiness, you can split the payment with no interest for 12-24 months easily from any dealer. Is that not splitting the yearly fee? Plus wait for a discount (seems they are going to be a regular thing.) I just tacked an extra year on after the last discount since my "renewal date" won't coincide with any known sale periods. "Auto-renew" will never be turned on because of that business practice.

If the request is for a "subscription" version of HD where you lose access if you don't pay monthly, I really don't get it. Means you don't have any hardware that requires it. At the point, just get vanilla. I'd see no point in losing access every few months if it isn't affordable for that month.

So, yeah, can imagine 18 votes and thousands of looks.

(Do I like a yearly payment? H*ll no. But price wise it comes out close to what the old updates cost every few years-- but it only matters if Avid keeps adding useful features. There was a very long drought of nothing for HD users and vanilla just getting HD features. That really stunk for us higher payers. But that's a different issue. Also, I guess you'd consider me in the camp that Rectifried mentions -- it's just another business expense.)
from any dealer? All of the ones that do online payment splitting are for US only..well at least from what I have seen
1) iMac Pro 3.2ghz 8 Core, 64GB Ram, 2TB SSD, OS 10.13.6, Caldigit TS3+ Dock, Startech USB-C raid enclosure w/ Crucial MX500 1TB x2, 1TB SSD-R G Tech x 2, Samsung 860 Pro 512gb Audio Drive in USB C Enclosure, TBolt Apollo 8 x 2, TI2 Desktop, MoxF6, tons more midi synths, PT 2018.7/Cubase9.5.
2) MBP 2.8ghz i7 quad, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.12.6, PT 2018.7, Logic 10.4.1,Internal Sound, TBolt SSD 512GB.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
from any dealer? All of the ones that do online payment splitting are for US only..well at least from what I have seen
The codes are country agnostic. And they are sent via email/receipt. Buy from a US dealer.
(just make sure they aren't sending a "boxed" version. Stores like Sweetwater do edownload -- or whatever they call it which means you get the code via email)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Selling maintenance along with software and hardware has been around for ever, especially in commercial settings. It's not going to go away. The issue is that $1,000 for a regular person is a lot of money, where it's petty cash for a company.

Everyone needs to decide what they need out of Pro Tools and go from there.
If PT11 does what you need, then stay with it. You will never have to pay another cent, and have a program that you are efficient with.

Of course, like everyone else, we wait for the next release with bated breath. That magical piece of code that does everything we imagined possible.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylie6 View Post
Of course, like everyone else, we wait for the next release with bated breath. That magical piece of code that does everything we imagined possible.
I think a lot of people would also just like to update their operating system (whether for new OS features or the now common need for operating system makers to patch security flaws) and still be able to use their programs. Pro Tools is notoriously bad about what OS it needs. Really can't think of another program (including Media Composer) that is so demanding to be locked to an approved OS.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post

Done