Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Is there an easy way to pop inserted plugins out into Audiosuite?

This would be so incredibly helpful to my workflow. If there was some way to have my plugins laid out like inserts, but any time I wanted to use one of them with its current settings as an audiosuite, just click something and make it happen. Does this make sense? It seems like there's gotta be a way to do that.

I understand the alternatives. I understand that I can save settings, take off the plugin, then go to audiosuite, bring it back and restore those settings. What I am looking for is to just seamlessly change from insert to audiosuite.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Is there an easy way to pop inserted plugins out into Audiosuite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettster View Post
This would be so incredibly helpful to my workflow. If there was some way to have my plugins laid out like inserts, but any time I wanted to use one of them with its current settings as an audiosuite, just click something and make it happen. Does this make sense? It seems like there's gotta be a way to do that.

I understand the alternatives. I understand that I can save settings, take off the plugin, then go to audiosuite, bring it back and restore those settings. What I am looking for is to just seamlessly change from insert to audiosuite.
I am not sure how much time you would save by having this "feature" build into Pro Tools.
If I make a setting in EQ3 7-band which is an insert in one of my tracks, I save the setting, open the AudioSuite version and load the setting, it doesn't take ages really.

I save PI settings quite a lot but I seldom open settings I saved with a realtime version of any given PI and use it with the AS version.

Maybe I misunderstand you or your workflow, please elaborate.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettster View Post
...I understand that I can save settings, take off the plugin, then go to audiosuite, bring it back and restore those settings. What I am looking for is to just seamlessly change from insert to audiosuite.
That type of procedure would be found in a Track Freeze workflow.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
I am not sure how much time you would save by having this "feature" build into Pro Tools.
If I make a setting in EQ3 7-band which is an insert in one of my tracks, I save the setting, open the AudioSuite version and load the setting, it doesn't take ages really.

I save PI settings quite a lot but I seldom open settings I saved with a realtime version of any given PI and use it with the AS version.

Maybe I misunderstand you or your workflow, please elaborate.
I knew that response was coming, which is why I specifically tried to preempt it. It will definitely, significantly help my workflow and my process with my other engineers, you'll have to trust me.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Shan, I am not sure if he was talking about audio rendering in the first place.

In theory you can have an EQ3 on any given track and then want to use the very same setting you have made with it in order to process the file with the AudioSuite component of the very same PI, and without saving a setting first.

Seriously I never have heard of any workflows like these but I have odd workflows, too and should probably shut up. ;-)

Actually I am just trying to understand what he is after.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Its easy to copy/paste settings, or save settings as a preset(which can be recalled in the audiosuite version of a preset done on the RTAS version of any plugin that is available in both formats. Or vice versa).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-06-2014, 04:14 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, but I said this

Quote:
I understand that I can save settings, take off the plugin, then go to audiosuite, bring it back and restore those settings. What I am looking for is to just seamlessly change from insert to audiosuite.
Which I hoped was pretty clear. Is there something I could help you understand more about what I'm wondering?

Like if I had a track, and I put in 5 inserts while it was playing, and tweaked all of those to my liking. Is there a way to then, seamlessly, click on each insert and turn it into an audiosuite plug so I can render the track? It'd be as simple as going down the line of inserts and rendering those settings. Not finding them again one at a time in audiosuite menu and saving/reloading the same settings.

What you seem to be implying is that no, you can't. You have to save those settings and then start a new audiosuite plugin. If that's not correct, and there is a way, I'd love to hear it.

If you must know a little of why I don't want this, this not only creates a bunch of garbage one-off settings I won't use again, but it also makes it more complicated to set up templates and workflow docs that will be used for really fast turnaround sessions of hours long content. I use PT10 for my plugins, so I can't offline bounce the whole thing with them in sequence, I have to render them to my audio. It's a drag to do the settings transfer dozens of times a day, it's even more of a drag to write all of that out in a workflow document to my junior engineers when it could be much simpler. Saving settings, finding the plugins again, reloading settings, then throwing away settings i'll never use again adds 4 steps to the process. If there was a button that made the insert turn into the audiosuite version, that would be a noticeable increase in seamlessness. I'm not really interested in arguing that.

Again, not trying to be rude, but I really dislike when you ask a question and immediately people try to tell you you're wrong for asking it. It seems like it happens constantly on this forum. It's even more frustrating when you specifically say you know how to do the alternative workaround, but then all the responses are teaching you how to do the alternative workaround. Doing that once in a while does not seem like a big deal, but doing it in my operation adds up to a lot of tedium. Pro Tools is filled with handy shortcuts, and any good software always pays note to the nuances of a seamless UI, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:19 PM

You can't do it the way you like, but you don't have to save a setting first either. There's some kind of middle ground, by copying the settings of your insert plugin (cmd+shift+c) and then paste it into the audiosuite plugin, which you have to open manually (cmd+shift+v).
That's as easy as it gets. And those are the mac shortcuts, I don't know what they are in windows.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.5
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Thank you Meads, that is a little bit better.

I also love that Track Freeze option, I didn't know about that. I knew about offline bounce, but Track Freeze would be a perfect solution if it was available in PT10.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Yes, the only option is to use copy from the preset menu (or the associated keyboard shortcut) and then paste into the AS version.

You can also assign commonly used AS plugins their own keyboard shortcuts to launch them on Mac. It's really quick.