Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Allen Hallada Allen Hallada is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 6,686
Default Ultimate Allenstein Challenge!

For those who want to raise the bar on PTLE Performance here is your chance to finally prove your worthiness to your parents and the world.

Chipsets proven with PTLE:
K8T800, K8T800Pro, K8T890, Nforce 3,Nforce 4


Motherboards Recommended:
A8V-E, A8N-E, A8N-SLI, A8V, K8N-DL, K8WE


Processors:
AMD 64 4000+ ->AMD64 4800+ dual core
Opteron 270 Dual Core


Be sure to read this sticky before asking questions on these setups. Asus Motherboard Support Page Scroll down to the links to the specific motherboard you are using.

Tips:

1. You can use the rest of the components listed in the Best Desktop thread or create your own.
2. For motherboards supporting PCI-X video cards I'd recommend using the ATI X-700 or above.
3. Post your Davec results and version of PTLE you are using. I recommend PTLE 7.0 for dual core processors.
4. List your entire system and remember to include the PTLE version you are using.
5. Remember that Asus boards have been our most consistent performers (see list above) but others can be tested as well
6. WinXP tweaks link is on the Best Desktop thread , first post.
7. Keep it honest - this is the only way we will be able to progress here.
8. Keep it fun! No grunting or pounding of the chest on the DUC!


Let me know if you are interested in assembling one of these bad boys and I'll help you with the specs on the Best Desktop for PTLE thread.

Thanks for making the PC platform the great platform that it is.

It's HAMMER time!


Allen
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2005, 12:53 PM
technician technician is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 339
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

allen, sounds like a GREAT idea!!! I wish I could be a part of it, but I'm still sitting on my pretty new athlon 64 3400+ and can't afford to build another.
just wanted to say thanks for your dedication and motivation. your one of the only ones really pushing the power end of things.

best of luck!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Allen Hallada Allen Hallada is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 6,686
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Quote:
allen, sounds like a GREAT idea!!! I wish I could be a part of it, but I'm still sitting on my pretty new athlon 64 3400+ and can't afford to build another.
just wanted to say thanks for your dedication and motivation. your one of the only ones really pushing the power end of things.

best of luck!!!
Are you telling me you got an Nforce 3 motherboard to work with PTLE? Tell us your secret and tweaking tricks. Your the first I've seen use this. Which motherboard are you using? Can you give us some DAVEC performance results so we can see how it compares to the current K8V?
Thanks,

Allen
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Aoede Aoede is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NW burbs Chicago, IL
Posts: 235
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Hey Allen,

I think I'd be interested. I currently have a P4 2.8 w/ 512 DDR400 and 2 Seagate 80 Gb hard drives. I use it for EVERYTHING and I'm thinking about a machine dedicated for only PT use with only the OS and PT on it. Could I use one of the Seagate harddrives that I currently use for audio in the new computer? Could you do a price break down with every component required? I want to figure what the cost would be on this bad boy.

Thanks,
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Allen Hallada Allen Hallada is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 6,686
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Quote:
Hey Allen,

I think I'd be interested. I currently have a P4 2.8 w/ 512 DDR400 and 2 Seagate 80 Gb hard drives. I use it for EVERYTHING and I'm thinking about a machine dedicated for only PT use with only the OS and PT on it. Could I use one of the Seagate harddrives that I currently use for audio in the new computer? Could you do a price break down with every component required? I want to figure what the cost would be on this bad boy.

Thanks,
Tom
Hey Tom,
We will have about 950.00 in the processor and motherboard so I'm predicting total system costs to be around 1500.00. Not bad considering it is going to be about 3X the processing power of a $3500.00 dual G5 2.5Ghz. Yes you can use your current hard drives, but I'd recommend using the 80GB WD 8MB cache drives now that they have come down so low in price. I bought one for about 35.00 last month. Or you can go with the 120GB if you need more space. Just don't want any bottle necks here and we know they are proven winners with PTLE. I also want at least the ATI 9600. You can just replace the processor and motherboard in the current Allenstein list with the ones above. So subtract about 550.00 and add 950.00 which would land in the 1500.00 range. I'm sure you could use most of your components if money was an issue and keep your costs down. Basically you are looking at 950.00 over what you have right now plus any component changes like ram, video card etc.. I'd have to see your current system before figuring out what you need to swap and what can stay.


Allen
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2005, 01:36 PM
powerjoe powerjoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Elk River, MN USA
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Allen,

I have been wanting to build the King of the Hill DAW so I am going to take you up on the challenge. I am inspired to hear that the FX-55 may have a compatible Mobo coming out for our purposes. I am also intersted in trying some new heavy duty / lightning quick, low latency RAM with this system. I am pretty sure I will stick with whatever case you recommend, but will be sticking it into a QuitePc case anyway. Gonna need that quiet freezer for the heatsink and a pretty good power supply. I am not that worried about the cost, so let's go. I am ready right now Allen.

Let's get to work. We can stay in touch through the DUC and via email if neccessary.

Let's go!
__________________
Joel DuBay
Ready Acoustics LLC
Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels
www.readyacoustics.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Allen Hallada Allen Hallada is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 6,686
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Quote:
Allen,

I have been wanting to build the King of the Hill DAW so I am going to take you up on the challenge. I am inspired to hear that the FX-55 may have a compatible Mobo coming out for our purposes. I am also intersted in trying some new heavy duty / lightning quick, low latency RAM with this system. I am pretty sure I will stick with whatever case you recommend, but will be sticking it into a QuitePc case anyway. Gonna need that quiet freezer for the heatsink and a pretty good power supply. I am not that worried about the cost, so let's go. I am ready right now Allen.

Let's get to work. We can stay in touch through the DUC and via email if neccessary.

Let's go!
QuietPC case.
SK8V motherboard
AMD FX-53 processor (940) NOT 939
Everything else is the same as the original Allenstein including ram.

You may need to do a search on Google and go to www.pricewatch.com for more retailers and best prices here.

Allen
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Parisstudio Parisstudio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 322
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Allen, quick question. I am thinking on building a new computer with your specs and the Asus k8v MB has a bad rep. Have anyone on this group have any problems with it?
I saw all the negatives on Newegg.

Thank, Eric M.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM
hiwatt33 hiwatt33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TaxiCab, IL
Posts: 20
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Quote:
Allen, quick question. I am thinking on building a new computer with your specs and the Asus k8v MB has a bad rep. Have anyone on this group have any problems with it?
I saw all the negatives on Newegg.

Thank, Eric M.
I am not Allen, however I must ask: What bad rep are you talking about? All what 6 negative reviews out of 242 submitted? Or am I missing something?
__________________
We cannot proceed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2005, 03:17 PM
powerjoe powerjoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Elk River, MN USA
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: The Allenstein Challenge! Who is up for it?

Sounds good Allen, I'll get to ordering that stuff immediately. I am however, running a large drum sample library, DFHS. So I will need a ton of RAM. I have 1.5GB now (not enough), and that program and the samples are very much RAM hoggs. So I will need at least the same, or better RAM.

Your thoughts?
__________________
Joel DuBay
Ready Acoustics LLC
Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels
www.readyacoustics.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The SRV-Axe-FX-II challenge;) alagami Eleven Rack 4 09-30-2013 08:06 PM
Vista Ultimate 64 (the ultimate dissapointment) Filmusic 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 5 08-03-2009 04:44 AM
Allenstein vs ultimate mac the_dr38 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 1 05-31-2005 06:13 AM
Snare Drum-the ultimate challenge? nightshadecrisis 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 18 12-18-2003 05:16 PM
BF challenge Viktor 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 2 12-22-2002 09:06 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com