Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 AM

Default Waves 9, Licenses & iLoks

I've recently purchased a Waves 9 bundle to install on my company's Profile to fulfill a rider requirement for an upcoming gig.

Installed the complete Waves package fine, registered my serial with the Waves Site and then successfully transferred the License using Waves License Center to my USB stick to authorize the plugins on the console.

The problem is, the license file is on my personal USB stick- I think I'd probably rather have the license stay on the iLok that lives inside the Profile. However, I wasn't able to 'see' the iLok as a vaild USB drive within Waves License Center. I don't have much experience with iLoks, so i don't know if that's normal (that they don't appear as normal usb storage devices).

Is it possible to put the Waves License on an iLok? Or will I need to use a separate USB stick that gets carried around separately (or maybe installed in the Profile too).

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but is there any way at all to use Waves across multiple consoles that we own? If my company has purchased the license it would be nice to be able to use it on all our Venue systems.. doubt this but wanted to check. Pretty sure you can't just copy the authorization file across multiple sticks.. right?

Apologies if this is more of a Waves question than Venue- but I am working solely in the Venue Live environment and uh, Waves support kinda sucks.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Waves 9, Licenses & iLoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchc_lx View Post

Apologies if this is more of a Waves question than Venue- but I am working solely in the Venue Live environment and uh, Waves support kinda sucks.
I don't know the answer for your question, but i have good experience with Waves support. Especially for venue users!

Did you contact them?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 AM

I haven't talked to them about this specifically, my bad experience was with a previous issue. Thought asking here would be more direct as theoretically there's a bunch of people here doing the same exact thing I am.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Did you register iLok with the iLok company? My understanding is the software can only be put on one iLok which then is carried around or installed in the rack on which ever console you are working on, but I could be wrong as I am sorta of new to the iLok thing myself. I just found out that if you have Pro Tools 9 or 10 it has to be on an iLok which means I would need a second one because the first one has the plug-ins which is installed in the rack. I do not want to remove the ilok from the rack everytime I need to use Pro Tools.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Well Waves 9 does NOT use an iLok - it has its own authorization procedure as I described. I guess I want to know if i CAN put it on an iLok since that's what lives inside my Profile
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM

I don't believe you can, BUT you can put a passive USB hub inside the local rack for your ilok and USB stick.

Regarding your other question, no you cannot use it on multiple consoles simultaneously, your authorization is for one instance only.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Well Waves 9 does NOT use an iLok - it has its own authorization procedure as I described. I guess I want to know if i CAN put it on an iLok since that's what lives inside my Profile
My mistake, iLok cannot be used at all. When the instructions mentioned USB, I thought iLok was still an option, but it is USB key, not iLok.

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I've recently purchased a Waves 9 bundle to install on my company's Profile to fulfill a rider requirement for an upcoming gig.

Installed the complete Waves package fine, registered my serial with the Waves Site and then successfully transferred the License using Waves License Center to my USB stick to authorize the plugins on the console.

The problem is, the license file is on my personal USB stick- I think I'd probably rather have the license stay on the iLok that lives inside the Profile. However, I wasn't able to 'see' the iLok as a vaild USB drive within Waves License Center. I don't have much experience with iLoks, so i don't know if that's normal (that they don't appear as normal usb storage devices).

Is it possible to put the Waves License on an iLok? Or will I need to use a separate USB stick that gets carried around separately (or maybe installed in the Profile too).

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but is there any way at all to use Waves across multiple consoles that we own? If my company has purchased the license it would be nice to be able to use it on all our Venue systems.. doubt this but wanted to check. Pretty sure you can't just copy the authorization file across multiple sticks.. right?

Did you upgrade from 8 or bought 9 new? I you upgraded, you still have your 8 on ilok and have 9 too, so your Waves bundle just became two bundles. Not so with if you bought 9 new.

Good thing with 9 is, if you put your license on the USB stick and loose it or put licenses on HDD and it fails, you can get new licenses from Waves. This is allowed to happen once a year, so this is borderline legal way to have your licenses on two places at the same time, in case you find the lost USB stick. And of course you wouldn't be able to ever update the licenses on the found USB.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks Brent and digidesigner for the info.

Purchased 9 new. USB hub is a good trick, met an engineer once who had built a really sick USB setup out of a tiny pelican case w a USB hub inside and a USB extender cable hanging out. All his installers, licenses and iLoks inside the case, no chance of snapping off or the like.