Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Questions about Freeze Tracking

Hello there,

I've never been able to use Pro Tools but I've always been interested in using it. I quite like the freeze tracking since it seems that could help me a lot (since I want to use a lot of tracks in my projects while saving as much CPU and/or RAM as possible),

And while you can also freeze track in other DAWs (like FL Studio and Cubase), they're a bit too complex for the function or unreliable to me.

So this where the questions come into play:

1. When I use freeze track with MIDI clips that are far away from each other, does freeze tracking render all the empty space in-between or just the 4/8 bar loop? and
2. Does it save CPU space only or does it save both CPU/RAM? Does it unload the plugin I freeze automatically (like Cubase) or does it keep it there if I need to edit something?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Questions about Freeze Tracking

1. Pro Tools freezes only the clips and keeps the gaps between the MIDI clips (depending on the reverb tail or delay used, then the freezed clip is longer).

2. if you freeze a track the plugins are set to an inactive state, so no CPU or RAM is used by the plugin/s anymore. You can unfreeze tracks at any time and all plugins revert to an active state as it was before, edit them and freeze them again.
you can even choose to freeze up to any plugin in the insert row and keep the one/s after the latest frozen plugin unfrozen and still editable.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 12-10-2018, 06:04 AM

Keep in mind that Pro Tools has dynamic plug-in processing, so even an un-frozen track will only use CPU when it is processing audio. If no audio is present, it frees up CPU for other plug-ins. So, depending on your session, you may not need to freeze an many tracks as you think.

System Details
Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Good advice above, and one more to avoid problems down the road. Look at the "Freeze" function as a very temporary tool. If the session is going to be taken to another system, use Track Commit instead. Same advice for a finished project that you are going to archive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Good advice above, and one more to avoid problems down the road. Look at the "Freeze" function as a very temporary tool. If the session is going to be taken to another system, use Track Commit instead. Same advice for a finished project that you are going to archive.
Ah yes, I've heard of the Commit feature but since I'm a newbie to PT: What's the difference between Commit and Freeze?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurekaSeven View Post
Ah yes, I've heard of the Commit feature but since I'm a newbie to PT: What's the difference between Commit and Freeze?
Freeze is way to Render a temporary version of the audio on a track. While a track is frozen, you cannot edit the audio in any way and cannot adjust any plugins that are also frozen. With Track Commit, you get a new track with the processed audio as a new audio file(so you can cut/copy/move, adjust Clip Gain, etc as with any audio track). Your original "source" track USUALLY is hidden and made inactive(freeing up system resources much the same as Track Freeze). You also have the option of committing SOME of a track's processing by using the "Commit Up To This Insert" option. This is handy for a lot of things, but my 2 favorites are: Commit a VI track to audio(but leave the rest of the plugins available for further editing during a mixdown) and for printing Melodyne edits

As a newbie, there is lots to learn, but you're going to love it I recommend Groove 3 as a great video tutorial source(you pay, but its maybe the best resource of its kind), or if money is tight, youtube is a free source(with content that ranges from very good, all the way down to nearly worthless) Also, many plugin companies have free videos to help you get the best out of their products(Izotope, Slate and Waves do a great job, as do many others).

Old 03-19-2024, 02:33 PM

Does anyone know if you "Commit Up To This Insert" on multiple (grouped or ungrouped) tracks at the same time? Because I've never figured how, and it'd save a TON of time instead of having to do it for each individual track.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut_Head View Post
Does anyone know if you "Commit Up To This Insert" on multiple (grouped or ungrouped) tracks at the same time? Because I've never figured how, and it'd save a TON of time instead of having to do it for each individual track.
Hmmm, I never tried, but as I would expect each track to commit in succession, it seems it might not save much time anyway