Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 AM

Default No updates.Pure Stagnation.

After years of debate on this forum,AVID fails to deliver updates that are necessary for our beloved antiquated Eleven Rack.

No IR responses,no dual amp mode,no new amps......and the list continues to grow.

With new plug ins offering so many options,take Peavey re-valver 4 for example,Avid is falling way behind.

Eleven rack is now looking like a glorified orange dongle.

With computers getting more powerful by the day(8 core-16 core processors)plug ins,are offering way more options.CPU loads will no longer be an issue.

A good pre,a good plug in and a powerful computer eats Eleven Rack for breakfast now.

I'm bored and fed up with the antiquated Eleven Rack and will be selling it to move on.

Avid,you are using the Eleven Rack to feed us pro tools software.

the Eleven Rack is cheap and antiquated compared to the new technology of amp sims that are currently being released on the market.

And they are even in AAX format.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 AM

Default Re: No updates.Pure Stagnation.

Actually, I think you are wrong. Avid is not using 11r. For nothing. They have decided to move on and will no longer be developing anything for the orange box. Let's face it. The stand alone editor was just a means to be able to continue developing PT without having to consider the 11r.
This has been evident for a long time now. For studio use, other gear has long since caught up and surpassed the 11r, namely BIAS. For live use, 11r for me is still the best choice. But I don't care about PT anyway, so I'm a different animal.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 AM

So basically because it suits you,you therefore ,like Avid,don't care about 11r that suits recording engineers.Many people use the 11r to record and would care to see more amps,dual amp features,Impulse Response loading etc.
Many people payed good money for this unit when it first came out.

You now almost get the 11r for free compared to the price of Pro Tools 11
Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybite View Post
So basically because it suits you,you therefore ,like Avid,don't care about 11r that suits recording engineers.
Well, yes - with the slight difference that I am not responsible for continued usability of the 11r because I am just a customer. Don't mistake me: I wouldn' mind getting an update with new features. But I don't NEED it. And it has been clear for a long time that AVID wouldn't invest further in orange hardware, now that all the apps are getting competitive. So, you shouldn't be too surprised. And that is, basically, the nature of most gear: sooner or later it gets discontinued and surpassed by new stuff.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 AM

When i buy a product i buy it for what it is and what it can do, and not for what it could possible or hopefully do after several updates. If the 11rack dont suit your needs, why even buy it? I mean, i would agree if it was full of bugs, but its not. In my opinion it sounds great and works just as expected. Im totally happy with it so i dont really need any updates.

Last edited by Gjermundsen; 08-20-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 AM

i bought the Logidy Epsi C (and put it in the effects loop) and with Ownhammer IR's and i feel that the 11R is still more than viable....and i own a studio too. the 11R still does things like power amp distortion better than most modelers, especially considering that you can buy a new 11R for under $350 nowadays.

use it for what it is, and add an Epsi if you really want to load IR's right now. if you have the budget, get an axe-fx or kemper if you really want more.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM

I could more easily accept the lack of upgrades if Avid would release a firmware addressing some of the bugs.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
I could more easily accept the lack of upgrades if Avid would release a firmware addressing some of the bugs.
that!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 AM

Eleven Rack has the resources to add more amps/pedals and add a dual amps option too.Every other product offers this except Avid!Avid does not have an engineer fit to implement these options.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Curious - what bugs?

I'll 2nd several comments put forward: Yes the 11R is no longer being developed but wow, it freaking rocks at what it does.

I have an Axe FX II and I prefer the basic amps tones of the 11R, and I generally prefer the overall simplicity as well. I'm going to sell the Axe, sure it has a vibrant user community and the Axe software is being actively developed but - when I play I want the sound of a 50w Plexi, or AC30 or Soldano - and that doesn't really change. The Orange box nails those tones for me.

[shrug] I wish Avid hadn't abandoned it but it still is crazy awesome and an insane value for ~$350. Guitar players can be weird in so many ways, on the one hand we covet old [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] that was designed for say a PA (Original Marshalls) and we'll go crazy hunting them down and pay exorbitant sums for one, but on the other hand - we complain if we don't get regular updates to an inexpensive device that provides a huge range of tonal options.

Just sayin' -