Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2018, 03:51 AM

Default Re: No Playback

Ok so here is my latest screen dump... I've obviously not downloaded all the everything I need to download but I don't know which things to download except the obvious stuff that says Win instead of Mac!

In the PT2018 there are heaps of things, but do I need them all... I have no idea?

see attached after I downloaded and ran the drivers... :0
Attached Images
File Type: png PT 2018 pop up.PNG (14.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:45 AM

You don't need to download most of it. Make sure you got the right drivers installed (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...x-Mini-Drivers) but you can check it in the next step.

If you're getting a sample rate error, that probably means Windows is hogging the mbox.

Just right click on the volume icon on the windows task bar (bottom right of screen) and choose playback devices. If you see the mbox in the list, right click and disable it in both the playback and recording tab. This is to stop Windows fighting with Pro tools for control over the mbox while you figure out what the problem is but you may like to re-enable it later and set the sample rate same as your pro tools sessions.

If you got this far then it should work in Pro Tools now.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Thanks ibbod0, I've disabled the mBox in both the playback and recording tab. Still nothing.
I've reinstalled the mbox drivers as you suggested and restarted computer, no difference... see attached screen shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT screendump 2.jpg (36.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM

And while in Control Panel>Sound make sure it's your onboard sound card that is the default for Windows sounds/audio. Leave the Mbox disabled. And after any Windows update, check again that the settings are correct as some updates can change those settings.

What is selected under Setup>Playback Engine?

We're all trying to help, but doing so long distance on a forum can be difficult.

If you are only ever going to be recording one track, editing it and sending it out, Pro Tools really isn't for you. However, no matter what interface and/or audio editing program you use, you are going to have to learn about optimizing your computer properly for audio recording, setting buffer sizes and setting the proper inputs and outputs along with other things involved with digital audio recording, like proper levels. That, or hire someone to set you up properly and keep you operating correctly. Unfortunately, and especially with Pro Tools, it's not plug-and-play.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM

I never disable anything. Just make sure that default is not mbox and PT should be able to see it. The screenshot you posted(#11) should have still allowed PT to start. When the Dashboard comes up(your screenshot from post #6) click the cancel button. Then up in the top bar drop down the Setup menu. Select Playback Engine. In the ensuing dialog box is a box where you choose your playback engine(interface-mbox in your case) by clicking the arrow in the box and highlighting the mbox(if your drivers are correctly installed it should be there) and enter. it should now have the mbox as the playback engine. In the setup drop down is also a Hardware menu in which you will find a link(if supported by the driver/interface)to a control panel for the mbox in which you can change sample rate, etc. But i wouldn't bother with that yet.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:15 AM

So you got the mbox set as the playback device in Pro tools?

One thing I just thought of, if I remember correctly the mbox series have a mix knob on the front? that lets you select whether to listen to the input turned all the way to one side vs the output from pro tools when turned all the other way. So just set that in the middle for now.

The track input and output should be set correctly by default, but if you open the mixer window, you can double check that in the I/O section in the middle of the track.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Ah, yes, the Mix Knob. Never crossed my mind as I've never used an interface with one.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction