Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Protools 12 not working with Fast Track

Hi, this is my first post here, please let me know if I need to change my post or its location to follow community rules.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
MacBook pro 13 inch mid 2012
Avid Fast Track Solo
Protools version 12.4.1

I can't record audio tracks with real instruments. When I go to create new track>audio track a track appears but the inputs are not what they should be. They say Front Left/ Front Right.L (mono) and Front Left/ Front Right.R (mono). This used to say microphone 1 and microphone 2 or something of that nature when it worked. When I make noise into the mic plugged into the Fast Track XLR jack, the light on the Fast Track lights up indicating noise is being made. The same thing happens with the guitar plugged into the 1/4" jack. But The track on Protools does not indicate that any noise has reached the computer.

When I make digital music using the plugins like Mini Grand I can hear sound come back through the headphones plugged into my fast track. However the noise is gritty. I've had this situation before and I think it is just a buffer size issue. I have never had the issue where I cannot make noise with audio instruments.

I have changed the playback engine to Avid Fast Track Solo. When the engine is Protools aggregate the inputs say Built in Mic 1 or Built in mic 2, which might be what it said when it used to work, but still, no sound reaches protools. I have deleted my preference files. I have restarted my computer and rebooted protools multiple times. When I change my input and output on system preferences, it picks up my mic and guitar sound. I've gone into the Protools I/O file and deleted the paths and selected default and that hasn't worked. I would be happy to go through any of these steps again, if anyone thinks they may help.

I've recently learned that protools is/was not compatible with Mojave. I was not aware of this when I updated to Mojave. I'm not sure if this problem is a result of that.

Thank you very much in advance if anyone can help me find a solution to this problem.

Last edited by greeting_card; 12-01-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Protools 12 not working with Fast Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeting_card View Post
I've recently learned that protools is/was not compatible with Mojave. I was not aware of this when I updated to Mojave. I'm not sure if this problem is a result of that.

That could be the problem, though just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it won't work - some people are using Pro Tools in Mojave.

When you said you got some sound but it was distorted, it sounds like maybe the Fast Track and ProTools are set to different sample rates. Have you checked to make sure the sample rate of your session is set to the same as the Fast Track? If the Fast track has a program to configure it then check there. You could also try creating a new session with a different sample rate to see if that corrects the issue, if only temporarily.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Protools 12 not working with Fast Track

This has nothing to do with wether Pro Tools is officially supported or not on Mojave. Pro Tools 2018.10 and maybe other close releases seem to run well on Mojave, with a know issue at small IO buffer sizes (what seems part of the hold up with an official release).

You are having “microphone” permission issues on Mojave that have been discussed before on DUC. (And you could have saved yourself lots of time by searching before posting). You need to enable “microphone” input for Pro Tools in macOS Systems Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy. It’s not literally microphones, Mojave blocks anything that might be an audio input used to record anything without that clear permission.

And if you are hearing anything without doing that it is because audio is going through the hardware monitor in the interface, not Pro Tools.

As for naming IOs. The names are just conveniences and don’t have any real meaning (only their number sequence does). If you are not seeing names that you expect then: With the **correct playback engine selected**. In Setting>IO>{input,output,bus} pages select all the IOs, click Delete, then click Default and that should get everything set to the default names, You can always edit them to have whatever names you want.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.