Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Default 003 right output twice as loud as the left. ( Main and Alt )

I apologize if this on already answered on the forum but I have searched for two days with no results.

I wanted to rout my main output from my Digi 003 board through my patch bay in order to use multiple monitors. I purchased all the proper balanced cables, re-routed the out puts and the 003 started to produce a whining noise that required me to power down the unit in order to get the 003 to stop making the noise.

After this occurred, I reverted to my original set up that used the main outs of the 003 directly into my monitors and everything worked as normal except one thing. - My right channel of both the Main out and ALT out is twice as loud as the left output - ? I have switched cables, speakers and have definitely narrowed it down to the right outputs of the 003 both main and alt. Lastly, this occurs in both a protools session and simply just routing an audio signal through the aux input, so I feel the issue is hardware and not software related.

I did find a forum with the same issue and the end result was this, "Actually it was the reference setting - defaults to +10db on channel 1 for speaker and channel two defaults to +24 for line. Not sure why but fixed it anyway" but I can not find any reference settings on the 003 board or in PT 11. Any ideas? Thank you for reading

Specs:

PT 11.0.2

Digi 003 control surface, interface combo

Mac Mini 2013 i7
256SSD
16 Gigs ram
Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Default Re: 003 right output twice as loud as the left. ( Main and Alt )

Follow up. I have found the exact issue is that, the right channel for Main and Alt outs is bypassing the physical volume knob. The volume knob on the 003 will not control the output level for the right channel and seems to be on full volume lol. So, the hardware needs repaired? Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Anyone????
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductape22 View Post
Anyone????
With balanced lines, losing connection on either + or - will result in pretty much exactly what you describe, so I would drag out a cable checker and test all your cables. I would also bypass the patchbay and run 1 cable from the left out to either speaker, listen to that, and then move the cable to the right out(same cable, same speaker) and see if there is any volume change. If there IS, then the 003 is probably the culprit. If those 2 scenarios sound the same, then its down to a cable, one speaker or something messed up with the patchbay

BTW, if you are not clear on the whole + and - bit, this refers to the tip and ring(on TRS connections) or Pins 2 and 3 on XLR connections

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
With balanced lines, losing connection on either + or - will result in pretty much exactly what you describe, so I would drag out a cable checker and test all your cables. I would also bypass the patchbay and run 1 cable from the left out to either speaker, listen to that, and then move the cable to the right out(same cable, same speaker) and see if there is any volume change. If there IS, then the 003 is probably the culprit. If those 2 scenarios sound the same, then its down to a cable, one speaker or something messed up with the patchbay

BTW, if you are not clear on the whole + and - bit, this refers to the tip and ring(on TRS connections) or Pins 2 and 3 on XLR connections

Thank you so much Dave. Yeah I tried everything you stated and it just seems that the right output is bypassing the 003 main volume knob. I think its time to get it repaired sadly. Oh well, it has been a great unit so I can not complain. Until my local audio shop can get it in, I just split the left output to both my monitors. I know I lost stereo imaging but its temporary. Thank you again!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM

I know you shouldn't do this but why not run something from your headphone jack?

Disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live