Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Mic acoustic guitar ( live )

That makes perfect sense regarding the green bullet.
I definitely have both 57's and 58's lying around, so either of those won't be a problem.
I'll see if I can get a message to him prior to the day of the show and see what he wants.
Thanks again everyone,
Tim
Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 PM

I just wanted to chime back in and thank everyone for their advice.

The show is over now and turned out to be a pretty good success.

The e914 far exceeded my expectations on the acoustic guitar.
FWIW, the guitar actually had a line out on it. We DI'd it and patched it into the console, but actually preferred the sound of the e914 much better - but the line out came in very hand to feed the monitors and not worry too much about feedback. In the end we ended up blending just a bit of the DI into the PA - it seemed to add a bit of low-end boost. Not sure if that was just the characteristic of the line out versus the mic, or if it was because I had turned the low-cut setting on the microphone on as a safety net.

The CAD's worked well on the Piano, but I would like to have had more time and more mics at my disposal to experiment. It seemed to sound a bit "boxy" at lower volumes. Cranking it up took the boxy sound away, but then seemed too loud. I wonder if a couple of small-diaphram's would have been a better choice - but it didn't sound bad, I just wondered if it could have been better.

The Harmonica player ended up NOT playing the acoustic guitar. I had my information wrong. I did get to do some third-party communication with him prior to the show and he just wanted a 58 on a stand in front of him. As it turned out, his style was VERY bluesy most of the time - so a blues harmonica mic would have been OK from THAT perspective - but there is no WAY he could have held it in his hand whilest switching between some 30 different harmonicas, several jaw (jew?) harps, and several other common household items not limited to a toothbrush, a squeaky rubber shark child's toy, a duck call, one of those little birthday party things you blow and it unrolls and rolls back in, and several other things I couldn't make out. He was pretty amazing.

I actually had a real blast doing it and heard several good comments during the intermission and after the show.

Thanks again all for your advice!
Tim
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM

i'd love to do a mix for you, if you want send the files and let's do it right!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks - that is a very generous offer.
This being a band with commercial releases and CD's for sale, I didn't record anything though.
I just wanted to provide the best sound for them that I could, given my resources.
Thanks,
Tim