Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools regularly freezing + 'Not Responding'!!

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing major, major problems.
Windows 10 is up-to-date, and I now have the latest PT Ultimate version installed.

The problem disappeared for a week or two, with no explanation, but the past two days it's come back, & WORSE!

I can literally be recording one track of audio, no plugins, no sends etc, and in my latest test, within one minute, PT froze up.
The strange thing is, it isn't like a normal crash. The audio keeps recording/playing back, but the mix window is usually the first to go, with the mute & solo buttons freezing up & becoming non-responsive. You then try & use some of the other functions and/or stop recording/playback, & you can't. The only way to then get out of PT is to force a close, & you then have to reboot the PC each time to fire PT up again.

I have tried trashing preferences, & that seemed to solve the issue for half an hour or so, but the problem then soon returned.

This is a MAJOR problem, & completely unworkable. Am tearing my hair out with this, & it's costing me clients & income.

It should be noted I've also given the PC a thorough clean & dust (not that it was that dusty inside anyway), & it's certainly not overheating. The Activity Monitor is not showing up anything irregular when the crashes occur, either.

Any other thoughts??
Old 11-12-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana Banana View Post
Any other thoughts??
Total long shot (but worth a try!)

Uninstall iLok License Manager

Run CCleaner & CCleaner Registry
When using CCleaner Registry, after "Scan for issues" and "Fix selected issues" select "Yes" to "back up the registry before making changes", located in My Documents>CCleaner>Registration Entries

Restart computer

Install iLok License Manager version 5.1.1
https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager
Old 11-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana Banana View Post
Any other thoughts??
2nd longshot:

If you’ve tried everything Darryl Ramm and The Weed have suggested – and still no joy – uninstall Avid Link (Installer’s in your Avid>My products, should you need it in future).

CCleaner & restart computer (as per previous Post)
Old 11-13-2019, 06:26 AM

Hey, I'm having a similar issue but I find it's whenever Pro Tools auto-backs up. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it freezes up and I have to re-start. Sorry in advance if this issue is completely different.

Does anyone know how to look through a crash log? I've attached a PDF if anyone fancies a look.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crash Report.pdf (52.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2021, 11:55 PM

I had this same problem and it was driving me nuts. One article suggested to disconnect the internet from the computer, which seemed totally random to me.

What I did was put my laptop in airplane mode, and suddenly pro tools worked perfectly. Does anyone know why this might be?

Thought I should post this in case anyone runs into the same problem without any solution.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:22 AM

@dansei this is on Pro Tool Studio 2022.7 and this is the solution for this random freezes. If i disconnect my pc from the internet pro tools runs smoothly, but as soon as I connect my PC to internet it starts freezing like, almost every minute.

The problem is: I can't work without internet connection, so I'm clearly running in circles here
Old 10-06-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantranquilo View Post
@dansei this is on Pro Tool Studio 2022.7 and this is the solution for this random freezes. If i disconnect my pc from the internet pro tools runs smoothly, but as soon as I connect my PC to internet it starts freezing like, almost every minute.

The problem is: I can't work without internet connection, so I'm clearly running in circles here
Lots to consider here:
#1-You resurrected a 3 year old post that may or may not have anything to do with your issue.
#2-Since disconnecting from the internet is a possible fix, that's where I would concentrate your troubleshooting.
#3-Nobody can offer much help with zero details on your setup. Look near the top of this(and every) page for a link named Help Us Help You and have a good read.
#4-Why must you have internet running while Pro Tools runs? If you are using iLok Cloud, I highly recommend buying a physical iLok and moving your license(s) off the cloud and onto an iLok(which works without internet).
#5-As soon as you connect to the internet, your computer can be a target for malware, trojans, viruses, etc. This is possible without even opening a browser. I would download and run a few things such as; MalwareBytes Anti-malware, CCleaner and any free anti-virus. Once they all come back showing clean, uninstall them(or at least disable them from the Startup menu so they only run when you want).
#6-review all the required system tweaks, for 2 reasons. 1-to make sure they are in place, and 2-because some can be reset by a windows update without your knowledge.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2022, 05:19 PM

Yeah old thread but ... the same issue Dantranquilo describes also hit me on 2022.9 Ultimate this month, posting my solution for the benefit of others because I wasted so much time troubleshooting this. In my case I had a previously mounted NAS network drive that was no longer on the network (a red x appears on the drive in Windows Explorer to indicate the path is no longer there).

Even though this network drive was never used with Pro Tools, it was making the program graphics freeze indefinitely (though audio still played) until I physically disabled my network. Once I pulled the network cable everything worked fine again. The fix was to remove the missing mapped network drive:

C:\> net use z: /delete
z: was deleted successfully.

Voila, fixed. Hope this fixes your issue too
Old 11-25-2022, 03:52 PM

And if the above doesn't help, post a Sandra Lite report on the PC. Having a "highly-spec'd" computer is worthless if there is some hardware incompatibility. And sometimes a piece of hardware can work under one circumstance and not work under another. An example of this is my own rig, which runs HD/Native (PCIe card) with a 192 flawlessly day after day, but it will not run with my new MBOX Studio at all

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave