Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Default Anyone using the OWC Thunderbolt Dock?

Hi there all:

I'm thinking of picking up an OWC Thunderbolt dock to interface a new Mac Book Pro (USB and Thunderbolt only) so I can still use my Firewire 800 drives and 002 rack interface.
Yeah, I know I should update to a Thunderbolt I/O interface but can't at this time. This is just a band-aid for now.

The big question is; does it work and how well? Any thoughts out there?

-Mzkguy
Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Anyone using the OWC Thunderbolt Dock?

Works for me. I needed a TB through and an HDMI port for a second monitor and it fit the bill. I've had a bit of an issue getting the network interface to work though, it seems to be my system since it works on another machine.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 08-08-2015, 04:43 PM

I've had mine for quite awhile, bought it specifically so I'd have USB3 with 2011 iMac. The ethernet worked for a long time for me, but suddenly stopped for some reason... probably when I toggled power on it. Will have to confirm IP address on it again.

Other than that, another FW800 is great, too. Haven't tried audio I/O yet, but wouldn't use it anyway.

I'm happy with it.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Works for me.

MBP
hd native card in a Helios TB chassis
Avid Omni + blue 192
FW drives and TB and usb 3 portables
Facility network via the owc ethernet port
2 external monitors, one off the owc doc one off the tb output of the pcie expander box

When its time to go, I unplug one TB connector and the Mag power and go.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 AM

Did not work for me.

I have am Imac with one Thunderbolt port. I bought the Belkin thunderbolt Express Dock. When i plug the HD Native interface into the dock, Protools does not see the Omni i/o anymore. So i am kind of cause i need a second monitor for my Protools and usb to hdmi is far from being the best way for dual monitor.

From what i red, there's not much differrence between Thunderbolt 1 vs 2, so why is PT can not work that way? I mignt have to buy a new Imac, they have to thunderbolt ports.

I'd appriciate some light on that.

P.S. Excuse my english, im a frenchy from Quebec, Canada
HD OMNI
Old 10-25-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danouell View Post
Did not work for me.

I have am Imac with one Thunderbolt port. I bought the Belkin thunderbolt Express Dock. When i plug the HD Native interface into the dock, Protools does not see the Omni i/o anymore. So i am kind of cause i need a second monitor for my Protools and usb to hdmi is far from being the best way for dual monitor.

From what i red, there's not much differrence between Thunderbolt 1 vs 2, so why is PT can not work that way? I mignt have to buy a new Imac, they have to thunderbolt ports.

I'd appriciate some light on that.

P.S. Excuse my english, im a frenchy from Quebec, Canada
I can't speak on the Belkin. My only experience is with the OWC dock and it works fine.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)