Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Madi box and omni together 64 i/o

OK so I picked up the MADI interface on Friday and connected it today, and with a little playing around I seem to have it just the way I want it.
MADI digilink port 1 goes to port 1 on the native card, MADI digilink 2 goes to the extension port on the omni and the primary port of the omni
is going to the second port on the native card. I then deleted all the omni inputs in the setup io
and outputs except I kept outputs one and two for monitoring off the omni but no inputs although I did not need to do that it just made it cleaner as I won't be using them.
Then I moved the 2 omni outputs in the IO setup to be at the end of the channel chain by dragging it to the bottom, so when I launch a new session and select 48 new tracks, bingo Bobs your Uncle!
I have 48 tracks of MADI input and omni channels 1 and 2 for output on every track. So when you connect the MADI and the OMNI this way it gives you 48 ins and outs
instead of 64 yes you loose 16 MADI channels but this is what I was hoping for (I thought it would just be 8 not 16 but when I do this with an HD IO
I am guessing it will be the same and I will loose 16 MADI channels again), only 48 MADI channels show up once the omni is in the loop. Speaking of loop
I went Loop sync out of the omni into the MADI and back to the Omni. I am able to set the master clock to be the omni or the MADI.
Now the only thing I could not test was audio coming into the MADI channels. But I put all the tracks in record and played back a mix on an extra stereo track and
I was monitoring the audio out of the Omni, I also then set my stereo mix track to output out of MADI 1&2 and I was getting signal on the "signal present" output light on the MADI.
Holy cow Bat Man I think I nailed it. But let me not get too excited, will be a few days before I get the RME Adat to MADI box to see if it all works together... fingers crossed.

here are some shots of the I/O setup and the mix window, very short for anyone interested in giving it a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqxowbL8R4w

Last edited by lancemcv; 08-30-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 PM

Cool! Thanks for updating us, that will help others in future.

I'm glad that Avid appears to have implemented this nicely so it works.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:40 PM

One added note is I tried the MADI with the Native thunderbolt box that I just received with and without the omni. With the omni again I lost 16 channels of madi but could use the omni to monitor just like before when I used my Native PCIE card in my mac pro.
What's cool is I tried using my macbook pro, the thunderbolt native box, and the MADI without the omni. I get the full 64 channels in and can monitor off madi channels 1 and 2 using the thunderbolt boxes headphone out.
So all output tracks can go to madi 1 and 2 and a master fader and you can mix from there with headphones or just plug the thunderbolt headphone out to some powered monitors if your in a pinch. So no omni needed if you have the thunderbolt native box
and madi thanks to the addition of the clean and loud headphone jack.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
One added note is I tried the MADI with the Native thunderbolt box that I just received with and without the omni. With the omni again I lost 16 channels of madi but could use the omni to monitor just like before when I used my Native PCIE card in my mac pro.
What's cool is I tried using my macbook pro, the thunderbolt native box, and the MADI without the omni. I get the full 64 channels in and can monitor off madi channels 1 and 2 using the thunderbolt boxes headphone out.
So all output tracks can go to madi 1 and 2 and a master fader and you can mix from there with headphones or just plug the thunderbolt headphone out to some powered monitors if your in a pinch. So no omni needed if you have the thunderbolt native box
and madi thanks to the addition of the clean and loud headphone jack.
Just to be certain, the HD Native Thunderbolt box will let you monitor Madi Output 1-2 out of the thunderbolt box headphone port? If that's 100% true, that saves me a ton of headache.

Mac Pro 3.0 gHz. Mac OS 10.6.8. Pro Tools 10HD
Old 10-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipmania View Post
Just to be certain, the HD Native Thunderbolt box will let you monitor Madi Output 1-2 out of the thunderbolt box headphone port? If that's 100% true, that saves me a ton of headache.
Yes you can monitor MADI 1-2 out of the headphone port of the HD Native Thunderbolt.