Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Help with MEZZO restore

I have 10 years work on Mezzo I can not believe they didn't give us a full auth this must be breaking the law!!
Old 10-23-2008, 03:41 PM

I have a bunch of stuff backed up to DDS4 tapes using Mezzo software. Does anyone have any suggestions on who might be able to retrieve the data (preferably in the LA area)? Thx ahead of time!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM

Hi all.
I've just joined the forum and am really pleased to see that there are other people out there with the same mezzo problems i'm havin. i thought i was on my own. i've been trying to contact mezzo for the past 2 months or so (without any joy) as i have around 130 mezzo tapes with lots of projects that were done along time ago that i need to restore really badly. i've emailed numerous times and called lots as well with no responce from them at all. the site shop is down and has been for ages. i can't believe that a company can do this. i am enquiring to see if anybody out there can help. i want to get back to these projects asap and was wonderin if anybody is willing to sell there ilok authorization or if someone can possibliy rent it to me asd i only need to get the info off tape and on to a HD. Please if there is anybody that can help please email me on [email protected].

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Help with MEZZO restore - solution to everyone

Lets put this misery to an end.
DIGI - IF YOU READ THIS - PLEASE MAKE IT A STICKY?

I have put my Mezzo 4.7 iLok asset on a new ilok. This is my proposal:
1) Daniel pay the courier to pick it up from me,
2) acknowledge receipt of the iLok on this thread
3) retrieve his stuff,
4) after which it will be available to the next person who needs it - that person will pick up the tab for the courier and keep it in the loop.

THE ilok or asset must never be sold or hired - will always remain my "property", as this is my attempt to make sure that neither #$%^& GMR or #$%^& Mezzo or anyone else will ever financially benefit from this horrible piece of software!

I trust you people (and also believe that no one in his right mind will want to start a library and keep the ilok) to keep this going.

Stef Albertyn
Cape Town, South Africa
Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Hey Stef.

You are a true Morality warrior and i can totally agree to everything in your last post. i'm totally happy to fit the bill for courier and will acknowledge when recieved and will 100% pass it on to the next poor soul who has the same problem. and i acknowledge your ownership of said ilok and auth code.

Thanks again Stef. i'll contact you via email. i have your address just let me know when is best for pick up. Whoever needs it next just give me email on [email protected]

Cheers

Dan
Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM

A lot of people here learned backup lesson #1 the hard way with Mezzo. Basically, if you're using a dedicated backup scheme such as Mezzo or Retrospect, you should never ever change/update/upgrade your backup computer. The moment you have a fully functioning backup system, you clone the system drive to another disk you'll keep outside the office. You keep that computer forever, no matter what. Any necessary updates warrant a new drive clone.

If your system archives its catalogs anywhere other than the backup media itself, as Retrospect does, you back those up to a different system. I have stacks and stacks of Mezzo backups going up to 2002, at which point our backup strategy was revised, but have never had the slightest problem retrieving the data. I just take out the old beige G3, plug everything up and let er rip. If that system dies, i have spares of most components and two drive clones. I regularly retrieve 10-year-old sessions without a hitch.

A backup strategy is not only about backing up your data, it's also about backing up your backup strategy itself. I learned that the hard way, too.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM

+1 to say what a horrible piece of crap Mezzo 4.- is. Incredibly unstable and filled with bugs..bad news for backup software. I know I'm not adding anything to this thread other than trashing this poor excuse for code. I was burned over and over and over again with Mezzo. It was great back in the version 3 / OS 9 days but vers 4 is, in my opinion, the worst software ever written. Yeah..can you tell I had to cover my arse with clients and lost data over this crapware? Ok...calming down now...bad memories.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM

Does anyone have a Mezzo 4.7 authoization they will rent or sell to me. They are nowhere to be found and have me locked out of my own archives!!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Help with MEZZO restore - solution to everyone

hi stef, did you send the ilok??? i could really do with it for a week!!! happy to pay postage etc..

best

Andy
Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 AM

anyone know if updates are backwards compatible? I think my tapes are a pretty early format.

also, I would love to "borrow" the ilok.