Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 AM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah, in messing with it, I kind of get it more but, I may pass on this. I think what would help it more for me is they did 4 knobs. 2 drives and 2 tones. That way, you can mix a little of all of it instead of picking between either. That would have been 100% better. That would make more since.
Instead, if you want tube, ya turn it right or saturation, you turn it left or however it goes. You have to pick instead of getting a little of all or a lot of all. I love the idea but it stops just short. I think that would be a simple fix and a huge selling point for the new mixer.

What do you guys think.?

Thanx PAM
That'll be very nice!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I'll try to break it down for ya guys since I was wondering that myself.
So, on a mono track it takes up 14%
on a stereo track it takes up 20%
when you have 2 of them on at the same time, it takes up 26%

Another note for you guys who are wondering this,

When you move the Drive knob all the way to the left, you get about 5.5db of compression or more headroom if ya want to call it that.
Moving it to the left means that you are using it as a tape machine.

When you move the drive all the way to the right, you get about 6.1db of compression/more headroom.
When you move it to the right, it's suppose to be a tube emulation, which I'm sure they mean mixing board emu.

It does add a cool sound and I think used lightly, it could build up a nice mix.
I was putting a Hip Hop Loop in it to get these numbers and I was using trim to add level to .01db so, I could hit it hard. To get the most out of it and see what it does.
When you drive it hard, it seems to fold a little, break up or rather get too distorted.

Again, if they just give you 4 half knobs, 1 for the tube sat, 1 for the tape sat, 1 for the dark tone and the last knob for the bright tone, they would really really have something. They would even have to change nothing as far as sound and keep what Dave did. Just break up the knobs as they are broken up but, 2 sounds on one knob doesn't give you the best options.

Avid, think about it for a sec. Put the tape knob first as if it was coming to tape.
Put the Tube knob second as if the tape was going to the board.
Put the Dark or bright knob next. Better yet. Make it 3 knobs as I see no need to break up the tone knob as it is dark or bright.
This makes more since and this is real world thinking, if you want to make this an Pro Tools Mixing Board Sound!!!!

Marc
I agree with your points but you said 5.5db compression? Do you mean the level is lower when we drive it? What I saw from the peak level meter is the level get higher.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Hey guys
I would love someone to be able to compare HEAT with the McDSP Analog Channel...
Anyone got both?
Thanks,
Angus
I got both, but Analog channel just make feel: it's OK! But HEAT makes me feel: it's GREAT!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
What I'm "on about," is that Reaper is still far off from replacing anyone's main DAW. Be it Logic, Cubase or otherwise. Of course it has features that others don't. So does Record. My point is that it's not quite ready to be the replacement DAW so many claim it is.

I still haven't heard of anyone completely replacing it as their main, especially in front of clients.

Now that Avid is finally making some progress... the future is looking a little brighter, and the gap will widen. Just wait.
yes, I agree with you.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
It replaced my PT and its doin Verrrrrrrry good... nowadays I use PT for 3 things: open session/ consolidate /export.
what a joke? Did you ever noticed about the sound quality? Or the tone of the sound? Reaper makes sound so thin and so bright, and the plugins in it make sound so weak! I don't think I can use it for my music production.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM

I posted this on Gearslutz, but wanted to hear your thoughts:

I didn't think about this but here it goes:

I recently mixed a song with 90% of the plugs being the UAD SE versions of the 1081, 1073, 33609.
I setup HEAT with DRIVE two notches left and TONE one notch right. Then I began my mix.

Sent it to an engineer colleague and he said it was the best mix I've ever done! Sounded warm and full!!

Consider this:
The SE versions of the UAD plugs leave the nonlinearities out for DSP efficiency. However, I am adding this nonlinearity with HEAT.

Thoughts??
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
But you're ignoring what I'm saying. Avid is NOT a software company. They are a hardware company. So they should extend their software support for their hardware users. Otherwise those users may decide to switch to a Native solution so that this situation NEVER happens again.

Right now, Native DAW users have an advantage over us HD users. They have more flexibility. They can upgrade their computers for the simple cost of that computer. We can't. So we look to blame someone for that. Do we blame Avid? Or blame ourselves for investing in Avid?

Would you rather be a Logic or Nuendo user being forced to upgrade right now? Or an HD user? So what did we do wrong that we're having the worst option in upgrading? We bought HD?

To me, this was a situation for Avid to take advantage of our situation. Introduce something that makes it easy to upgrade. Even without a trade in plan. Hell. I'll take my chances with ebay.

Make PCIe cards with 3X the power for $4995. Rewrite your software from the ground up to be lean and incorporate every great feature from your competitors DAWs. Make us WANT to upgrade to more power in an HD system. Then you continue to control the market because HD is as powerful as you can get and we have no desire to seek out a lesser DAW to save some money.
Kenny, I think what some people don't understand is, that if you bought a G5 in 2005 or 2006 and bought Digi Cards to go with it and Apple dropping support just a few short years after you've spent all of this money, well it seems like you've been ripped off!
I was one of those people and I know how they feel!
I sold my HD pci card in 2008 because I was moving and could see that I was going to lose money by keeping my digi setup.
So I sold the Pci core card in 2008 for $3200 and just bought it back with PTools 8 for $1200.
I kept my G5 and it runs all of the tdm plugs that I kept so I'm stoked.

I'm sure most with big studios with multiple cards weren't able to just sell their digi stuff to keep from loosing all that money, they just had to take the hit. It really depends where you are standing.
A PC user or someone with a macbook that didn't take the hit is not going to understand why us G5 users might feel a bit pissed.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthtunz View Post
I'm sure most with big studios with multiple cards weren't able to just sell their digi stuff to keep from loosing all that money, they just had to take the hit. It really depends where you are standing.
A PC user or someone with a macbook that didn't take the hit is not going to understand why us G5 users might feel a bit pissed.
If an HD/G5 rig hasn't paid for itself more than once in 5+ years, they are in the wrong business.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 AM

My demo period ended for HEAT so I bought it. Every time I come back and listen to a mix I've done with heat, I say, "It still sounds great!".

2 notches to the right for more aggression, 2 clicks to the left for punchy but smooth! And one click to the right with tone.

I have no problem keeping heat simple. I don't need more control over heat. The implementation is perfect.

I mixed an indie electro band record just before heat came out. Those electro mixes don't have any of the magic that heat brings. So sad for them....

=)

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM

I have to add one more thing no one has commented on...

When mixing with Heat turned on, it is actually easier to get a good correct sound per track. Mixing is faster. If you use plugs in a session without heat and some of the plugs have built in analog modeling, like Waves/McDSP/Cranesong, the tracks don't combine ITB the same way heat does. Nor do they sound as good.

Thanks for the Heat!

Rubi

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T