Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
It's only a way of forcing people to buy new... There's no other reason to stop supporting older hardware.

It depends only on what you want to offer to your customers.
https://www.drumagog.com/download.htm Still supporting Mac OS 9.
Yes... but only with other OS9 stuff. I also wouidn't want to use anything from OS9 era, since nothing new works on it. If you read all the disclaimers, it seems like OS9 use would be novelty at best.

There are plenty of reasons other than "forcing" people. Technology improves, coding changes... and the only way to continue making money is to make new stuff. If everyone was still using G3's, there would be no point for anything else to move forward.

As I said, if you want to keep using what works for you... there's nothing stopping you. It's expecting the new stuff to keep working with the old stuff. It's never been that way, and it never will. I accepted that a long time ago.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
i appreciate your honeslty and clarity kenny

and i'm sure many more like me do to...thanks for being there

and good luck with the new tutorial...hope you are doing well with the southern summer heat man...

jimbo
Lovin' it Jimi.

Thanks for being you.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
It's only a way of forcing people to buy new... There's no other reason to stop supporting older hardware.

It depends only on what you want to offer to your customers.
https://www.drumagog.com/download.htm Still supporting Mac OS 9.
There is whole list of DAW's that require newer hardware (Intel) and software OS versions. It very hard (and Expensive) to maintain several platforms there are 3 different versions of Protools on 2 different OS platforms and comparing a DAW VS a plug-in it's not a fair comparison. FWIW APPLE and Microsoft do not give any developer support on older OS versions and hardware that has been out production for several years.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
What I'm "on about," is that Reaper is still far off from replacing anyone's main DAW. Be it Logic, Cubase or otherwise. Of course it has features that others don't. So does Record. My point is that it's not quite ready to be the replacement DAW so many claim it is.

I still haven't heard of anyone completely replacing it as their main, especially in front of clients.

Now that Avid is finally making some progress... the future is looking a little brighter, and the gap will widen. Just wait.
It replaced my PT and its doin Verrrrrrrry good... nowadays I use PT for 3 things: open session/ consolidate /export.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
There is whole list of DAW's that require newer hardware (Intel) and software OS versions. It very hard (and Expensive) to maintain several platforms there are 3 different versions of Protools on 2 different OS platforms and comparing a DAW VS a plug-in it's not a fair comparison. FWIW APPLE and Microsoft do not give any developer support on older OS versions and hardware that has been out production for several years.
What I know is that Apple stopped supporting the G5 way before it was time for it. But of course that a question of money, too expensive for Apple.

Now, how many PT users are out there on mac intel with 8.1? How many are on PPC? What would I do if I wanted to sell a lot of "Heat"?
For sure too expensive and a bad business move for avid to support the G5.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
What I know is that Apple stopped supporting the G5 way before it was time for it. But of course that a question of money, too expensive for Apple.

Now, how many PT users are out there on mac intel with 8.1? How many are on PPC? What would I do if I wanted to sell a lot of "Heat"?
For sure too expensive and a bad business move for avid to support the G5.
Why do people think PPC was dropped before it was time?

PPC tech was already over 5 years old. That is ANCIENT for computers. That's like asking why Intel doesn't still support the Pentium 4.

D

Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Why do people think PPC was dropped before it was time?

PPC tech was already over 5 years old. That is ANCIENT for computers. That's like asking why Intel doesn't still support the Pentium 4.
we don't "think" we "know" it was dropped too soon by people trying to sell us a bill of goods instead of support what they already sold us.

don't buy into the scam that the corporation makes the rules...

i think it's time the customer takes back their power and decides what the rule of thumb is for the word "ancient"

and the way we do that is withholding our credit cards and/or cash.

and that's not revolting...that's merely standing up for our rights by naming and claiming them with our words not the word and ideas of others.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
we don't "think" we "know" it was dropped to soon by people trying to sell us a bill of good instead of support what they already sold us.

don't buy into the scam that the corporation makes the rules...

i think it's time the customer takes back their power and decides what the rule of thumb is for the word "ancient"

and the way we do that is withholding our credit cards and/or cash.

and that's not revolting...that's merely standing up for our rights by naming and claiming them with our words not the word and ideas of others.
This is the problem...

There is no scam.

If it works... keep using it. But here's the thing... the only people still using G5s are using extra hardware that keeps it that way. That being the HD cards. Otherwise, G5s are archaic and useless. My 2 1/2 year old Macbook Pro blows away any generation of G5, hands down. No one uses them for video, no one uses them for anything else other than Pro Tools HD, because HD needn't require superior onboard hardware. Aside from that, HD cards are archaic, too. Hence why a lot of people are hesitant to "upgrade" these days, because it's not an upgrade. Certainly not what you would expect from paying $10,000-15,000.

G5s are done. That's all there is to it. There's no reason for Apple, Avid or any other company to continue supporting them. You can believe what you like, but I prefer to believe facts.

As I said... if it works for you, keep using it. But there's no reason for any other market to continue using them, especially for new hardware/software. It doesn't make any sense.

D

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
This is the problem...

There is no scam.

If it works... keep using it. But here's the thing... the only people still using G5s are using extra hardware that keeps it that way. That being the HD cards. Otherwise, G5s are archaic and useless. My 2 1/2 year old Macbook Pro blows away any generation of G5, hands down. No one uses them for video, no one uses them for anything else other than Pro Tools HD, because HD needn't require superior onboard hardware. Aside from that, HD cards are archaic, too. Hence why a lot of people are hesitant to "upgrade" these days, because it's not an upgrade. Certainly not what you would expect from paying $10,000-15,000.

G5s are done. That's all there is to it. There's no reason for Apple, Avid or any other company to continue supporting them. You can believe what you like, but I prefer to believe facts.

As I said... if it works for you, keep using it. But there's no reason for any other market to continue using them, especially for new hardware/software. It doesn't make any sense.
My assistant uses a dual G5 2.7GHz machine with an original mbox on PT8 at my studio. He does a lot of editing, tons of midi programming, overdub sessions. . . . It works fine. Sure, you can't load up a ton of intensive plug-ins on it, but there's still quite a bit that you CAN do on it. At some point I'm sure I'll replace that machine, but that time is not today. We'll keep using that machine until it no longer does what I need it to do.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
My assistant uses a dual G5 2.7GHz machine with an original mbox on PT8 at my studio. He does a lot of editing, tons of midi programming, overdub sessions. . . . It works fine. Sure, you can't load up a ton of intensive plug-ins on it, but there's still quite a bit that you CAN do on it. At some point I'm sure I'll replace that machine, but that time is not today. We'll keep using that machine until it no longer does what I need it to do.
And that's fine. That's what I keep saying. If it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that. It's this expectation that there should be new releases for it, or that G5 owners have somehow been wronged.

Use what works. That's it.

D