Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Avid Stickers For S6 Locate Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Hey Eddy of avid. Is the new printing entail a more expensive module? Or is it just the printing on the button?

I thought it was just the button screen printing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yeah he's the guy that knows for sure but I'm guessing that it's not that simple from this comment:

Quote:
We looked at a button system that would allow customers to replace/move them around but this would have raised the cost of the S6 at a time when we were trying to keep it down.
So I'm making the assumption that it's not as simple as simply swapping out button caps.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Yeah he's the guy that knows for sure but I'm guessing that it's not that simple from this comment:

So I'm making the assumption that it's not as simple as simply swapping out button caps.
He said you have to open up the module. So I assume it voids the warranty. Hence my suggestion of warranty replacement.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
He said you have to open up the module. So I assume it voids the warranty. Hence my suggestion of warranty replacement.

No he didn't. He said the module would have to be of a more expensive design to allow the swapping out of buttons.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
They are not button caps but button trees...to change them requires removing the overlay (breaking it) and a lot of disassembly.
We thought that changing the function of those buttons and providing stickers was in the best interest of customers.....you can always put commands that resemble the actual button names and not use the stickers
Quote:
No he didn't. He said the module would have to be of a more expensive design to allow the swapping out of buttons.
You can take the buttons out. Please read what he posted in this thread. Avid doesn't want to disassemble the modules for you. So they sent stickers.

The fact that avid used button trees instead of replaceable buttons has nothing to do with stickers. The fact that they have to use stickers is because of an optional software change. You do not need nor do they have a more expensive module like you claim that is different than the modules that require the stickers. They are identical units minus the printing.

So the buttons can be changed. As specified by Eddy in post I quoted. There is not a special more expensive new module people are trying to get for free as you claim.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
You can take the buttons out. Please read what he posted in this thread. Avid doesn't want to disassemble the modules for you. So they sent stickers.

The fact that avid used button trees instead of replaceable buttons has nothing to do with stickers. The fact that they have to use stickers is because of an optional software change. You do not need nor do they have a more expensive module like you claim that is different than the modules that require the stickers. They are identical units minus the printing.

So the buttons can be changed. As specified by Eddy in post I quoted. There is not a special more expensive new module people are trying to get for free as you claim.

You would need the more expensive module design to make swapping out the buttons a simple process but it isn't.

Assuming you're correct, Avid still has to Avid has remove the overlay. (breaking it!) after a lot of disassembly to replace the buttons AND send out replacement units to possibly hundreds of customers in the meantime. Expensive.

But if it's that important to you.... you win, I concede defeat, I'm totally in error. Happy now?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
You would need the more expensive module design to make swapping out the buttons a simple process but it isn't.

Assuming you're correct, Avid still has to Avid has remove the overlay. (breaking it!) after a lot of disassembly to replace the buttons AND send out replacement units to possibly hundreds of customers in the meantime. Expensive.

But if it's that important to you.... you win, I concede defeat, I'm totally in error. Happy now?
Yes I am very happy.

But I am not impressed with the avid sticker policy. Warranty exchange is the way to go.