Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Default After opening Pro Tools 12 youtube etc audio won't work

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to recording and just bought the Pro Tools 12 Subscription. I am using Windows 10 and a Behringer UMC204HD. After I play anything in Pro Tools when I go to my web browser (chrome) the audio on any videos will not work. Actually, audio anywhere outside of pro tools will not work. Is there a way to not have this happen? I feel like it was not happening before. It also makes it hard to watch PT tutorial videos and follow along in the program.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Re: After opening Pro Tools 12 youtube etc audio won't work

With any Windows setup, you will be much happier if you do 2 things;
#1-set Windows Sound Properties to NOT use your Pro Tools interface as its default playback device.
#2-assign the computer's sound card as the default playback device(this will avoid any hardware conflict, which is what you have right now)

So now you are wondering how you can hear your youtube and other non-PT stuff? There are a few ways to do this, depending on the interface. For yours:
Option 1(best)-use a monitor-source switcher like Mackie Big Knob or Presonus Central Station(especially if the computer has a digital audio out and the switcher has a digital input)
Option 2-Get a small/inexpensive mixer(Alto or Behringer, $50 or less) with at least 2 stereo inputs. Connect your interface to one stereo input, connect the computer audio out to the second input and connect your speakers to the mixer output
Option 3-use separate computer speakers for Windows sounds.
Note that options 2&3 will allow you to hear Pro Tools AND computer sound at the same time

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
With any Windows setup, you will be much happier if you do 2 things;
#1-set Windows Sound Properties to NOT use your Pro Tools interface as its default playback device.
#2-assign the computer's sound card as the default playback device(this will avoid any hardware conflict, which is what you have right now)

So now you are wondering how you can hear your youtube and other non-PT stuff? There are a few ways to do this, depending on the interface. For yours:
Option 1(best)-use a monitor-source switcher like Mackie Big Knob or Presonus Central Station(especially if the computer has a digital audio out and the switcher has a digital input)
Option 2-Get a small/inexpensive mixer(Alto or Behringer, $50 or less) with at least 2 stereo inputs. Connect your interface to one stereo input, connect the computer audio out to the second input and connect your speakers to the mixer output
Option 3-use separate computer speakers for Windows sounds.
Note that options 2&3 will allow you to hear Pro Tools AND computer sound at the same time
I really appreciate your reply but are those really my only options? I do not really want to have to buy more gear or have it taking up space when I do not need it other than for this. I definitely do not want to have extra speakers for my computer on the same desk. My monitor has speakers but they do not sound good. If I can not listen to other audio outside of pro tools at the same time (lame) at the very least I should be able to close pro tools and then be able to still have audio through other applications.
I also had the focusrite 2i2 for a week or so before getting the Behringer instead because I read that it worked just as well for almost half the price. With the focusrite I do not remember having this issue.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 AM

Another option is to get an audio device that has a multi-client ASIO driver. Win 10 here with a Komplete Audio 6 and system audio with PT not a problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Ah ok. Hmm did the focusrite 2i2 have a multi client driver? Does the umc204hd not have that? Do I need that even to hear audio from other programs even after pro tools is closed?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM

You'd have to check with the manufacturer to see who has multi-client drivers or if they'd work for you. In your current config, the audio device should be available to the OS after PT quits.

More info here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...t-drivers.html
Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM

UA Apollo Twin Duo will work great and has extremely great preamps and real high end sound.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-20-2017, 05:58 AM

It's worth checking your sample rate in Pro Tools. If it's not the same as windows system audio then sometimes it won't play back at all after you quit pro tools due to the hardware still being in the other sample rate. Make them match and try again.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am pretty new to recording and just bought the Pro Tools 12 Subscription. I am using Windows 10 and a Behringer UMC204HD. After I play anything in Pro Tools when I go to my web browser (chrome) the audio on any videos will not work. Actually, audio anywhere outside of pro tools will not work. Is there a way to not have this happen? I feel like it was not happening before. It also makes it hard to watch PT tutorial videos and follow along in the program.
Thanks!
If I were you I would solve this by doing it the way that most of us do it. Set the windows sound output to the internal sound card, thereby leaving the behringer to be used by protools only. Will save you alot of hassle with changing sample rates, PT error messages and so on. Then connect the pc's sound output to the two line inputs on the behringer. Set them to "Line", and turn the Mix knob fully to the left. Now everything except protools will go analogue from the pc, thru the behringer, and to your monitors and headphones. Even when you are running protools.

The only downside to this is, since you have only the two inputs, is unplugging the jacks when you want to record something. On the other hand, it is now very easy to record stuff from the internet or other applications straight into protools, should you ever want that.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
It's worth checking your sample rate in Pro Tools. If it's not the same as windows system audio then sometimes it won't play back at all after you quit pro tools due to the hardware still being in the other sample rate. Make them match and try again.
Thank you I will definitely try that. Where is the sample rate in windows 10