Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up Thumbs up for AVID, PT9.0.1 and all the DUC´ers

Hi all,

Just want to express my joy on having PT9.0.1.

I recently bought myself an OCZ SSD and installed my OS clean and fresh. I followed everything I could find on the DUC about optimizing Windows 7 for the use with PT. I upgraded my M-PT8 licenses towards PT9 without any problems. Everything was found in my account and could download nice and easy the installers for the plug-ins that came from my MPTK2.

The installation was quick and seamless (this SSD is blimey fast ) so I can ensure you that PT is working perfectly from an SSD. The installations of all my other plugs were as easy as well (mind you, the libraries are on a seperate disc and were already there from my previous installation).

I have the feeling (on what I´ve opened on sessions this far) that the RTAS cpu consumption is way lower. I had a session open with 6 instances of Play, each having 4 patches loaded, running on 128 buffers without any hickup and could print each patch to its own audio track all at once . I never could do that before.

I also finnsihed the build of my home studio, so everything came together this weekend and I feel like a kid in a candyshop.

A big thank you as well to all the duc'ers because a lot of research went into my builds that I could find here or they mentioned a link on various websites.

I created a small impression of what it became

i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Thumbs up for AVID, PT9.0.1 and all the DUC´ers

Glad to hear! I am running Macs at work, but was thinking of testing an SSD for the system drive in one of the studios, I already have 6gb of ram in each machine which never gets fully utilized by pro tools currently and the price for me to bump up to 10 or 12gb or get a 120 gb SSD for the system drive is about the same, and I feel the SSD performance benefit would be greater.

Your home studio looks great, lots of nice little touches, love the under desk mount for the interface in the booth, looks very pro.

MKD Creative

HOBO Audio
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
love the under desk mount for the interface in the booth, looks very pro.
Yeah, cool isn´t it ! Actually I designed it myself with the use of ProEngineer at the office and the shop floor at work did the lasercutting and bending. Afterwards it got glass sanded for the surface finnish.

If someone has the Stage Buddy and would like to have the design drawing and DXF file for laser cutting, PM me and I email it to you.
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Great job on the studio - and the Vangelis music - ahh Blade Runner one of my favorite movies - was thinking of watching that again.

Again - well thought out work space, you did your homework first.

Themaltake Spedo Advance, Win 7 32bit Pro, ASUS EVO, I-7 860, 3 WD Blacks, Kingston HyperX KHX2000, ASUS EAH4350 Silent, Pro Tools LE 8.0.4cs2 and now PT 10 on Win 7 64bit, I-7 and I-3
Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludia View Post
Hi all,

Just want to express my joy on having PT9.0.1.

I recently bought myself an OCZ SSD and installed my OS clean and fresh. I followed everything I could find on the DUC about optimizing Windows 7 for the use with PT. I upgraded my M-PT8 licenses towards PT9 without any problems. Everything was found in my account and could download nice and easy the installers for the plug-ins that came from my MPTK2.

The installation was quick and seamless (this SSD is blimey fast ) so I can ensure you that PT is working perfectly from an SSD. The installations of all my other plugs were as easy as well (mind you, the libraries are on a seperate disc and were already there from my previous installation).

I have the feeling (on what I´ve opened on sessions this far) that the RTAS cpu consumption is way lower. I had a session open with 6 instances of Play, each having 4 patches loaded, running on 128 buffers without any hickup and could print each patch to its own audio track all at once . I never could do that before.

I also finnsihed the build of my home studio, so everything came together this weekend and I feel like a kid in a candyshop.

A big thank you as well to all the duc'ers because a lot of research went into my builds that I could find here or they mentioned a link on various websites.

I created a small impression of what it became

Nice post and very nice studio. Is that your music on the video? And not to get all mushy but I have the same gratitude toward the duc'ers. I most likely would not have built such a great PT system without, in particular, the i7 thread. My first PT build was a success because of it. Same vibes to Avid for all things PT9!

Good to know you're having success with SSD. I plan to go that route soon.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks AVID!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Beautiful work, especially on the desk/console. I'm curious - for the edging - did you ease (i.e. round off) the edges with a router, by hand with sandpaper, or place rounded banding on the edges of the MDF? I ask because not only does it look nice but it'll cut down on scratches to the skin or ripped clothing from splinters that you'd get with square edges.

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Beautiful work, especially on the desk/console. I'm curious - for the edging - did you ease (i.e. round off) the edges with a router, by hand with sandpaper, or place rounded banding on the edges of the MDF? I ask because not only does it look nice but it'll cut down on scratches to the skin or ripped clothing from splinters that you'd get with square edges.
I indeed used a router. I have to be honnest that I had to look it up on the web what the real translation of the dutch word 'bovenfrees' would have to be ... yes, it is called 'router'. It's a great tool, also the MDF is a great material to work with. With all the rebuilding things I do and furniture creations ,I would almost say I should have chosen another profession instead of being an ICT'er