Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Problem Importing 5.1 Audio from QT to ProTools

I have a movie I've made. The chain of operations looks like this:

1. FRAPS a gameplay video on a pc. Capturing audio (5.1) and video.
2. Convert the FRAPS codec to AVI using Virtual Dub, keeping 5.1 audio.
3. Copy the AVI to my Mac and convert to a Quicktime movie (again keeping the 5.1 audio intact).

When I open the file in Quicktime and get info, I have a "16-bit integer (Little Endian), 5.1 (LRCLsRsLFE), 48 khz" listed for my audio. However, if I try and import the movie (with audio) into qucktime, I get a message telling me there's not enough space on the disk (and that I need another 1000+ gigs).

If I try and import the audio directly, ProTools is seeing very weird things in the file. Using the 'Import Audio' command, I find the movie file. ProTools sees the it as having 3 channel, 16 bit, 1 hz audio.

I've tried importing this audio as-is. It comes in and is pitched way down. I've tried importing it using the "Apply Sample Rate Conversion" function and forcing the source sample rate to 48khz. This also gives me drastically pitched down audio.

Any ideas about how I can pull the audio from these movies cleanly into ProTools?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Problem Importing 5.1 Audio from QT to ProTools

Does QT let you export the audio?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinwedel View Post
Any ideas about how I can pull the audio from these movies cleanly into ProTools?
Hey dave ... Didi you try Perian for Mac? I seem to remember opening fraps captures on my Mac directly using perians extended quicktime functionality.

Also Quicktime pro ( v7 not 10) allows you to select and extract audio separately from video.

Maybe try using mpeg streamclip I find its a nice balance between features and ease of use.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Interesting ideas, thanks for the help. I have found a solution. Here's what happened.

Sean: QT does let me export the audio (I'm using QT Pro 7.6.2), however it only lets me export as a stereo file. It does some kind of downmix but since I want the 6 track, that does no good.

Joe: I also have Perian. ProTools however won't recognize raw FRAPS video.

I ended up exporting the audio using VirtualDub on the PC side using the 'Save WAV' function. This exports a headerless 6 track file (ProTools still won't open it). I was able to open that 6 track in Sound Forge and Save As, changing the format to Microsoft .WAV. ProTools will read this newly saved file.

It's a bit of a hoop fest, but fortunately both VDub and SForge have decent batch options.

-Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Dave -

So when you open the file in QT and show the Movie Properties (command J) do you have a 'Stereo' file there?

Most times, you can select whatever audio stream in the Properties window and just hit 'extract'.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinwedel View Post
I have a movie I've made. The chain of operations looks like this:

1. FRAPS a gameplay video on a pc. Capturing audio (5.1) and video.
2. Convert the FRAPS codec to AVI using Virtual Dub, keeping 5.1 audio.
3. Copy the AVI to my Mac and convert to a Quicktime movie (again keeping the 5.1 audio intact).

When I open the file in Quicktime and get info, I have a "16-bit integer (Little Endian), 5.1 (LRCLsRsLFE), 48 khz" listed for my audio. However, if I try and import the movie (with audio) into qucktime, I get a message telling me there's not enough space on the disk (and that I need another 1000+ gigs).

If I try and import the audio directly, ProTools is seeing very weird things in the file. Using the 'Import Audio' command, I find the movie file. ProTools sees the it as having 3 channel, 16 bit, 1 hz audio.

I've tried importing this audio as-is. It comes in and is pitched way down. I've tried importing it using the "Apply Sample Rate Conversion" function and forcing the source sample rate to 48khz. This also gives me drastically pitched down audio.

Thanks!
Dave
PT does not support the SMPTE track-layout. Maybe that´s the issue.