Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM

Default Dear Avid,

I am writing on the off-chance that anyone from this company reads this and cares about dissatisfied customers. You certainly do not give the impression that you care at all.

I am convinced my M box is a lemon. I have had one problem after another with it. I've struggled with this for at least a year now. Random things go wrong for no reason, I fix one thing and then something else stops working.

I've PAID for customer service on multiple occasions. I was told no one could figure out why my MIDI wasn't working, so I had to schedule a call back from a senior technician. I stayed home for a FOUR HOUR window and WAS NEVER CALLED. I rescheduled and it happened again. Clearly my time is not important to you.

So I gave up on MIDI and started recording straight audio. Until, in the middle of recording, the M box randomly stopped receiving input. I checked all my connections, cables, inputs, etc. I restarted. Nothing. To make matters worse, when I replayed what I had recorded, it was all shifted offbeat, as if the device had recorded an echo of what I was playing.

I know it's past my warranty now. But this has NEVER WORKED. I've invested a lot of time and money into this and have gotten nothing but frustration out of it.

If anyone is reading and cares, please contact me. If you have any semblance of customer service you should replace my faulty M box. Otherwise, I am literally going to throw it in the trash, go buy recording software from ANY OTHER COMPANY and be done with you forever.

Sincerely,
Steven
Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Dear Avid,

Steven, have you upgraded your computer to a supported type without integrated graphics yet. Or are you on that same HP?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 AM

There's just as much chance your problem is related to your computer components (particularly HDD's, video cards, RAM, Chipsets & drivers) as the Mbox.

Trying to run PT on any ol' computer is risky at best, especially laptops. Those who have been around for awhile will tell you to build a computer from scratch specifically designed to run Pro Tools and it's related hardware. It's unfortunate that a lot of sales agencies won't tell anyone buying PT that research needs to be done first to make sure it will run properly.

I'm not saying PT or Avid support is perfect, but unless you are running PT with compatible components there's nothing anyone will be able to do to help you.

If you do decide to build a computer there are plenty of people on this forum who will help but if you move on, all the best for the future.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM

I am on the same HP. You guys really think the problem is my computer? I ran that Sandra report and it seemed to have the necessary specs to work and I've spoken with customer support on multiple occasions ($40 a pop, I might add) and they have never mentioned that my computer wasn't up to par. They even went through and "optimized" it, or whatever, with no improvement.

So, instead of getting new software, you'd get a new computer? Is there any way to be sure the problem isn't just my M box? What if I invest in a new computer and it still doesn't work?

Surely there are other software programs out there that are less of a pain in the ass. Is PT really that good? Frankly, at this point, I'm ready to go back to my old school stand alone 8-track recorder. At least it worked.