Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-05-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Midi switch or USB switch to punch in Pro Tools

What is everyone using these days to punch themselves in when recording themselves?

I can't find anything to use these days that's reliable. I'm not into creating loop record. I'm into good ole old school punch in on the fly...

Please recommend a good midi switch or USB switch to punch myself in when recording in pro tools.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Midi switch or USB switch to punch in Pro Tools

A standard footswitch connected to my 003 is still working fine for me in 12.2.1

Some other Digidesign/Avid interfaces also have this functionality.

As for MIDI/USB switches, I can't think how you'd configure them to work, there's no setting in Pro Tools that I can think of.

You might be able to use a smartphone or tablet as an alternative.

In simplest form, you could use an app that emulates the numeric keypad on a full size computer keyboard, there's one available for Apple devices.

Or if you have an iPad, use either the free Avid ProControl app, or something like Neyrinck's V-Control Pro, both of which provide transport controls.

But if you want foot operation, then I think only the Digi/Avid devices with footswitch sockets will provide the functionality you are looking for.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
A standard footswitch connected to my 003 is still working fine for me in 12.2.1

Some other Digidesign/Avid interfaces also have this functionality.

As for MIDI/USB switches, I can't think how you'd configure them to work, there's no setting in Pro Tools that I can think of.

You might be able to use a smartphone or tablet as an alternative.

In simplest form, you could use an app that emulates the numeric keypad on a full size computer keyboard, there's one available for Apple devices.

Or if you have an iPad, use either the free Avid ProControl app, or something like Neyrinck's V-Control Pro, both of which provide transport controls.

But if you want foot operation, then I think only the Digi/Avid devices with footswitch sockets will provide the functionality you are looking for.
Really? An app to punch ourselves in? Leave it to Avid and more n more other software companies to disrespect all of us PC users that have paid good money to them.

Yes I own the overly priced n will be obsolete soon Avid Artist Mix Series. With Raven Mti2 new release. The future is here. Selling mix series for Raven Mti2.

I will try your keyboard idea.
Big thanks for reaching out.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
Really? An app to punch ourselves in? Leave it to Avid and more n more other software companies to disrespect all of us PC users that have paid good money to them.

Yes I own the overly priced n will be obsolete soon Avid Artist Mix Series. With Raven Mti2 new release. The future is here. Selling mix series for Raven Mti2.

I will try your keyboard idea.
Big thanks for reaching out.
The beauty of the app approach is actually, because its via wifi, you don't even have to be in the same room.

I use it at home AND in the studio, where it's sometimes good to be in the live room with the musicians, rather than stuck in the control room. I can pass the iPad around to individual musicians and let them set up their own headphone mixes.

I haven't set up the offical Avid Pro Tools Control app on my iPad yet, mainly because the spec doesn't include my particular iPad, but I'll give it a try.

But I can highly recommend Neyrinck's V-Control Pro app for iPads, it's fab.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:27 AM

If your interface doesn't have a footswitch, the Presonus Faderport covers that nicely(along with some other good features on a budget) Then there's always the auto-punch feature.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If your interface doesn't have a footswitch, the Presonus Faderport covers that nicely(along with some other good features on a budget) Then there's always the auto-punch feature.....
As you say, looks nice for people without existing hardware with a dedicated footswitch socket.

I might even have a look at one for mobile use …. any issues I need to know about? Works well on Mac OSX 10.8.5, and 10.10.x?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
As you say, looks nice for people without existing hardware with a dedicated footswitch socket.

I might even have a look at one for mobile use …. any issues I need to know about? Works well on Mac OSX 10.8.5, and 10.10.x?
AFAIK, it works fine. It will also work without the wallwart, except the motorized fader won't function(all buttons will work)

Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 PM

Just to round off my previous post ...

Avid Pro Tools|Control app is working well here on my unsupported iPad3.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:30 AM

I have been trying to get my PT12 with a 003 Footswitch to work for years!! I know it's been a while but do you have some special settings that you could share with me that might help me get this working? I haven't had the Footswitch function since upgrading to PT 12 from 11!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:56 PM

For me, with the 003(which I ran for a good 8 years) started out(PT 7.3LE) with the quick-punch working dandy. After several updates, somewhere around PT10, it started to make a very audible glitch on quick-punch, which forced me to edit every punch point with the trim tool. When I got my first faderport, I used it on a friend's rig alongside a C[24(I hated having transport buttons on the right) and it worked so well, I bought another for my own rig and quick-punch worked much better with no glitches at all. Now that have moved to HD/Native and gave up the 003 surface, the faderport continues to be part of my setup.

3 things to consider:
1-with some earlier versions of PTLE, there was an option somewhere in preferences where you could choose whether the footswitch would Start/Stop or punch in/out of record. Not sure when that disappeared.
2-the footswitch jack on the faderport has those same 2 options and you need to light up the Shift button on the FP to use quick-punch.
3-if you work alone, using "auto-punch" or using Pre-Roll are 2 solid options that work well, without any footswitch