Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Writing plug-in automation to regions....?

O.K... so this is something I used to do ALL of the time in Pro Tools 6.... and haven't been able to do in 7+.

Put a plug-in on a track... enable all parameters for automation writing.... make sure plug-in automation is enabled.... highlight a region.... make EQ (for example) moves you want to make.....

then press shift/option/apple/forwad slash (left of the right shift button) and viola, the plug-in data was hard printed to that region. then, you could do a different one to the next region, and so on.

Now, when I use this function, it simply does nothing. If I select it in the menu, it does nothing. If I instead choose "write to current," it tells me....

"could not be written because all parameters are not enabled (WRONG) or automation recording is not selected in the automation enable window." (ALSO WRONG.)

Even worse, it'll actually let me write plug-in automation on the fly... OR use bars to automate.

Obviously, something changed. Sorry if this has come up around here, but I can't find anything on it and it's driving me insane. Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Writing plug-in automation to regions....?

Just double-checked the manual, and they're calling it "snapshot" automation, now... if I understand it correctly. Maybe it's always been called that. I just know we used to use the hell out of that function, and now it seems incapable of working.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 AM

It works here..... but presumably if you are trying to "Trim to all enabled" you have to write automation first, maybe with Command/Option/ForwardSlash(write to all enabled)...or is there something I'm missing?

regards
Old 04-27-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
It works here..... but presumably if you are trying to "Trim to all enabled" you have to write automation first, maybe with Command/Option/ForwardSlash(write to all enabled)...or is there something I'm missing?

regards
Well, more likely there's something I'M missing.

Here, let's make it simple.

You have three regions in a row. All a couple of seconds long.

You want to print a different EQ curve to each one (not on the fly) so that when the cursor goes over each, it changes dramatically, but that automation is only specific to that region. You want this to all happen on the specific plug-in on that track. (Q10, for instance.)

How would YOU do it, from step one? (Because the way it used to work for me isn't working anymore)

Anyone?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

regards
Well, more likely there's something I'M missing.

Here, let's make it simple.

You have three regions in a row. All a couple of seconds long.

You want to print a different EQ curve to each one (not on the fly) so that when the cursor goes over each, it changes dramatically, but that automation is only specific to that region. You want this to all happen on the specific plug-in on that track. (Q10, for instance.)

How would YOU do it, from step one? (Because the way it used to work for me isn't working anymore)

Anyone?

Wow.... no one can take a crack at this? Kind of shocked.

I'll ask one more time for fun...

You have a track with 20 regions in a row, with a second or two between each. You want all to have a different EQ automated. (With widely different parameters.) You want to print (or write) a different curve to each track. So, you highlight the track, bring up the EQ that's currently on the track... make the moves you want......

and then what??????

In PT6, you'd just shift/alt/apple/forward slash .... and it would write that EQ to that particular region. (As long as all parameters were enabled.)

Now, it does nothing.

Again, I figured maybe they changed the terminology, so I tried "write to current".... and "trim to current" and only get an error message that says automation is not enabled (and or) all parameters are not enabled. Both of which are absolutely not true. They ARE enabled.

Is this a bug, did something change, or am I just going nutty?

Someone here HAS to use this function. Anyone? Digi-folks, maybe?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 PM

I have used this also, but always found it to be a bit dodgy. This has been the case forever. Sometimes, the key commands don't work but the menu works. I do know the the first time you write automation to the track it doesn work to do snap shot. So I usually write some kind of automation at the top and then it works from there on.

I use this feature by turning auto off and setting my EQ the way I want it.
Do the snap shot and then turn auto back on.

I always check that some automation dots ahve appeared in the volume automation list to make sure. Some programs call this clip based automation and complain that Pro tools doesn't have it therefore it is useless for mastering type projects, but in pro tools using snap shot automation it does the same thing.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Are there any breakpoints in the playlists before you attempt to do this? If not, "Write to all enabled" will affect the entire session.

Edit: Write automation to all enabled parameters is Command-Option-Forward slash, isn't it? Like OliJ said?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Going to try... and post back. Seems that I DID have some breakpoints on tracks I've tried, but let me try again...
Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 AM

I don't use this at all, but I remember I tried it out a long time ago.
  • - Like mentioned in a previous post, make sure you have breakpoints for each parameter at the beginning of the session.
    - Automation needs to be switched from "read" to "off" to write the automation - obviously it needs to be switched to "read" again, once you're finished with editing

Hope this helps.

Timothy
Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 PM

This comes down to personal mode of operation. What I always do when I've first instantiated a plugin that I want to automate, is fiddle around till I have my "Zero" setting as I want it. ie (let's say Q10 eq) where the frequency bands sit and que for each, but the default settings of course, would also work just fine. Then with all cut and boosts at zero I highlight the track with the selector, for some arbitary lenght(just make sure start and end points are outside the area containing the first bit of effected EQ you want to apply. Then hit Command/Option/ForwardSlash with just the Plugin automation enabled and you've just writeen your EQ null mode for the session. Next when you want affect eq to a region, highlight the region, supend automation, get the Eq right, then stop the transport, reactivate automation and hit the Command/Option/ForwardSlash key. The EQ will snap to your settings where your highlight began, and snap back to the Zero mode at it's end. I have a template session that I import an audio track called plugins from, that has all my most used plugins with my preferred zero automation already written, so all I have to do is option drag the plugins to the desired tracks.

hope this helps