Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Delay & Noise when switching rec-enabled tracks

This has been as issue as far back as I can remember but seems much worse with OSX/PT6. There was a whole thread based on track input metering changes that Digi made to make PT more like a tape machine. Well what about the clicking, chirping, static, etc we encounter when switching tracks?!? Also, with OSX, the delay from silence to actual audio thruput is very long when jumping between tracks using non-latching record buttons.
Its very embarrasing when I have to wait for the exact right time when no one is talking or practicing to switch recording tracks. But its impossible when I am about to do a double or a triple and as the singer is waiting for the new track, they are practicing, and they get cut in and out along with all the chirping and clicks and pops when changing tracks. There are workarounds of course, but there shouldnt have to be.

Digi, I have to say, this is one of the most unprofessional things about Protools!

It really does hurt the flow of sessions that are moving quickly, from track to track, and each time you change tracks, you're in for a new surprise cacaphony of noises, blips and silence that go right to the performers headphones and startles them half the time. "Woah, everything ok in there?!, "What was THAT noise?!" "Why am I cutting out after every double and triple track?" and so on.

Im guessing that this is a limitation of PT and TDM Mixer that will always be there tho, huh? Could there be any hope for a new build of Protools that will actually have the MOST MISSED feature of a tape machine--that you can switch input tracks at any time without anyone knowing or hearing anything different?

I lived with this forever with PT5/OS9 , but in PT6/X the issue is so much more problematic that it makes me and everyone in the room cringe when switching tracks. Like nails on a chalkboard!! Pleassse try to do something about this!

Comments?
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Delay & Noise when switching rec-enabled track

MT:

I agree. This problem should have been fixed years ago!
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 08-27-2004, 11:57 AM

Wow, I really thought this would have gotten more of a response. Does no one else find this issue to be an annoyance?

MT
Old 09-14-2004, 04:48 PM

Giving this thread another shot.