Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 AM

Default HD Native and Lion : anyone?

Hi, anyone using Lion with their HD Native system yet? What with iOS5 out and the iCloud not working with anything pre-Lion, the time is getting closer and closer to switch.......or is it?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Re: HD Native and Lion : anyone?

I'm wondering the same thing. I do have Lion installed on the 3 other computers in the studio and pro tools 9.0.5 does work on them but I'm iffy about upgrading my main machine. I was originally planning on waiting til it was all officially qualified but I too want to use iCloud!
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM

I am using Native with an Omni and a 192 on a Mac Pro 2.8 8 core and it is really, really stable. None of the 9000 series errors anymore and very snappy.
I was pushed onto Lion by Apple replacing my machine but I have no regrets.
I have not checked out the iCloud thing yet.
PS, I run video off another older Mac Pro so I cannot comment on what it is like pushing picture and audio out at the same time.
Brian Power, CAS

www.thehideoutstudios.com

Last edited by puffin; 10-13-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM

The question you need to ask yourself:

Do you really need your HD machine to be up to date with your iPhone?

I understand if you are running a Macbook that is also your Facebook/Email/iTunes machine... but with all of the time and money you've invested on a powerful HD tool, do you really want to potentially compromise it by installing a few gimmicks?

I'm still not sold on Lion, but I also don't have an iPhone so I have no reason to go past 10.6.5.

As always, if you're feeling brave... Make sure you have a backup plan. Clone your system drive, or pull it out completely and install a new one fresh. That way you can just swap the drive if Lion sucks.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I understand if you are running a Macbook that is also your Facebook/Email/iTunes machine... but with all of the time and money you've invested on a powerful HD tool, do you really want to potentially compromise it by installing a few gimmicks?
Yeah I'm totally with you on the gimmicks, it was only the sync'ing of email that I'd miss really. Will probably hold off for 2 years like I did with Snow Leopard to be honest. ;-)
Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM

I sync all of my itoys to my macbook. My macpro gets updated 6 months after avid says its ok.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
I sync all of my itoys to my macbook. My macpro gets updated 6 months after avid says its ok.
Bingo! I'm going to copy that procedure. Thanks all.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM

I went to Lion after the PT10 announcement last night. Haven't purchased the upgrade yet as I feel Native users got a little burned and want to see how everything shakes out.

Anyway, I'm between paid projects and figured I could use the time to test Lion and PT9.0.5 on personal stuff to see how it operates. I've been hitting it fairly hard all day and so far it's great. The whole machine (PT included) feels faster and more responsive than with Snow Leopard. And that's after doing an upgrade and not a fresh OS install as recommended. I also re-ran the 9.0.5 full installer after the upgrade to make sure everything was in place.

I've mostly been editing but I have recorded a few tracks on moderately dense sessions with the buffer at 64 and I haven't had any problems. No crashes, no beach balls... Looks promising.

Your milage may vary and my evidence is anecdotal, but I thought I'd share my experience.

-- btw, I agree with keeping extra apps and stuff off the main rig as much as possible, but I did want the iCloud/iOS integration and my iTunes library won't fit on the MacBook with out an external drive for the media. I'm not willing to add an extra drive to anything that needs to be portable.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM

what macpro are you running and its specs?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin View Post
I am using Native with an Omni and a 192 on a Mac Pro 2.8 8 core and it is really, really stable. None of the 9000 series errors anymore and very snappy.
I was pushed onto Lion by Apple replacing my machine but I have no regrets.
I have not checked out the iCloud thing yet.
PS, I run video off another older Mac Pro so I cannot comment on what it is like pushing picture and audio out at the same time.
Brian Power, CAS

www.thehideoutstudios.com
If you don't mind me asking, is that the 2008 Mac Pro (Harpertown) you're running? If so, that's great news because I'm running that machine and am thinking of switching to HD Native.