Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Does PT LE Compensate for plugins latency OR NOT? How much!?

Hi guys,
can you help me make this clear?

Ok, what I know about it is probably what a lot of people know too, which is:

There has recently been a resurgence of requests on the Digidesign User Conference for Pro Tools to automatically adjust for plug-in/convertor delays. Often people point to Pro Tools LE and its "automatic plug-in delay compensation". It's mostly true that in LE you don't get plug-in delays (and extremely nice it is too), but it's not really that LE has an active compensation scheme. What's really happening is that, being host-based, LE uses a processing buffer, so there's effectively a delay on everything all the time. Therefore, if all the plug-ins can get their maths together in the allotted time everything will all come out at the other end with no relative delays. However, with really meaty plug-ins like Maxim that handle large chunks of data at once, delays are still incurred.
Source: SOS

but the question is: is that true? And if it's true, how much does LE compensate???
Up to how many samples we can avoid to manually compensate??? 1? 100? 1024? ZERO??

I mean seriously.. Because somebody says "it's fixed at 1024" some other "it depends on the buffer".. I haven't found nothing that tells me for sure how much LE should compensate, so I decided to test it myself:

Two tracks, the same kick sample in both tracks, I insert in the first one the good ol' RComp which -following the Waves Latency Chart should give me 64 samples latency.

The display (bottom of the volume bar of course) says 64, and the two kick samples that before were sounding perfectly ok and in sync have now the "double&nudge/short-delay" effect, in short LE didn't compensate those 64 samples!!

I mean 64! not 2048, not 1024.. but just 64! If LE doesn't compensate just 64 samples -which are not really much for the average plugin- up to how many should it auto-compensate?? And is gonna be a fixed value or it really depends on the h/w buffer??

Thanks to everybody that will answer
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Does PT LE Compensate for plugins latency OR NOT? How much!?

ZERO!!! and adjust to what the delay on the plugin says. forget all about the buffer. there is NO plugin latency compensation in PTLE. there is a lot info on the DUC on past discussions about this topic. SEARCH is your friend!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks man,
i looked before post, but i couldn't find much about it.. Anyway, thank you mykhal
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks man,
i looked before post, but i couldn't find much about it.. Anyway, thank you mykhal
here are a couple of threads that i saved in my favs. good reading, especially nikki's post.

nikki-k's delay compensation thread

plugin delay thread2

hope these help

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff