Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire and USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM

Default Project Mix I/O - Who supports

Since the sale of M-Audio to InMusic, the Project Mix I/O (and several other Firewire devices) are no longer supported. InMusic have stated that the PMIO is the property of AVID so they wont be doing any support/drivers for it (See CMeadows statement here).

I'm wondering if AVID does still "own" the Project Mix (and other FW series devices - Solo, 410, etc)? Also, if so is there any chance of further driver development for these devices?

Thanks,
Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 Pro
Pro Tools 2020 HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Fender Mustang V 412 / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Project Mix I/O - Who supports

Strange when I contacted them (M-audio) about it a few months ago, I was told the PMIO was discontinued without further support, no one had said anything about it being owned by Avid still.

https://wn.nr/JWU7cA
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 AM

Yeah, InMusic really only kept up support for the ProFire 610 and 2626 (as far as interfaces are concerned). I know AVID kept the USB devices, but I haven't seen any info from AVID on the FW series devices.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM

I had a PMIO up through November 2010 (replaced w/ FF800) and my chief issue was that early drivers didn't seem Core Audio compatible, meaning the FW audio driver was needed to get a DAW using it. Had the same behavior on Windows early on, if I wanted to just use it for iTunes playback etc. I think maybe they addressed that later -- but I sold it as I could see the writing on the wall. Better to get a nicer interface and a separate HUI device to get your flying-fader fix, instead of being locked into the PMIO as an interface IMHO.

Not that it was a bad interface - I used a Digimax96k via lightpipe to bypass its pres and had a really good time recording & mixing with the PMIO for the couple years that I owned it. It's just that there are so many other options out there and the sun is setting on this and other Avid gear. 003 is still a good option since it sounds like PT11 might be able to work with it.

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Reread the statement.
They are saying that we they purchased the assets they did not plan to move forward with certain product.
Those products will be considered Avid products and put in the legacy category with other Old Avid product.
Since they now own the mAudio brand they will host the legacy drivers etc so they can easily be found.

It's more semantics than anything else.

The real point of the statement is that it's a dead unsupported product.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM

Any chance we could get an official answer from AVID? I doubt there would be updated drivers either way, but I'm curious who would be responsible for support anyway.

Thanks,
Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Any chance we could get an official answer from AVID? I doubt there would be updated drivers either way, but I'm curious who would be responsible for support anyway.

Thanks,
Joel
Probably not because PMIO is an M-Audio device, and since M-Audio was sold to inMusic Avid is probably not keeping up support on these at all, confirmed by emcha above as well -- in addition to it being free of Avid ownership, it's discontinued.

You can always hit up inMusic/M-Audio if only just to get confirmation that PMIO drivers are done. I think the PMIO debuted in '05 or 06? It had a good run but Avid ran the 003 into PMIOs price territory at least for folks wanting PT with pres/faders.

If you need a similar amount of i/o to what the PMIO has, you could snag a Profire 2626 from M-Audio or one of Presonus' offerings and just the PMIO as HUI controller. That is honestly about the only way to get any use out of it longterm.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
just the PMIO as HUI controller. That is honestly about the only way to get any use out of it longterm.
Pretty much the only real value to be had with one at this point.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Yeah, it's more that InMusic are saying that AVID retained the ProjectMix. I'm more wondering if they are just pawning complaints of no future driver support off on AVID. I'd just like to get AVID's side of this, I'm wondering if InMusic do have the required info to do driver support, and just arent bothering or if the PMIO really does still belong to AVID. InMusic have stated they wont be developing drivers, but are saying it is because AVID still owns the FW series devices.

I already have a 2626 and am quite happy with it (although I wish M-Audio would fix the offset issue that has been affecting the Windows driver for a couple of years).

Thanks,
Joel

EDIT: My PMIO is actually working just fine at this time, using Win7. This is more just my wanting to know.

Home:

Rig:
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Yeah, it's more that InMusic are saying that AVID retained the ProjectMix. I'm more wondering if they are just pawning complaints of no future driver support off on AVID. I'd just like to get AVID's side of this, I'm wondering if InMusic do have the required info to do driver support, and just arent bothering or if the PMIO really does still belong to AVID. InMusic have stated they wont be developing drivers, but are saying it is because AVID still owns the FW series devices.

I already have a 2626 and am quite happy with it (although I wish M-Audio would fix the offset issue that has been affecting the Windows driver for a couple of years).

Thanks,
Joel

EDIT: My PMIO is actually working just fine at this time, using Win7. This is more just my wanting to know.
Yeah before I sold mine I remember I got it working with Win7 with a driver update, but sold it not long after that. I don't know if Avid will say anything, but your instinct is correct on inMusic saying PMIO is an Avid property -- for all we know inMusic was probably offered to carry/support it, and took one look at its age and declined. Leaving it on Avid to clarify the device's EOL status. I thought M-Audio was kind of doing EOL on this interface before their sale to inMusic, but I may be wrong.

The Profire 2626 is listed on M-Audio's site, so that's at least one FW device that it seems inMusic has to support, driver-wise. But that may be all. At any rate, good luck I hope Avid makes a statement. I'm not optimistic, but the PMIO was a nice little interface and I got a lot of mileage out of when I had mine.

On a similar somewhat related note: there's a similar thread/discussion here on DUC about inMusic stating that PT Instrument Expansion Pack 1.0 (PTIEP 1) is an Avid property. inMusic subsidiary AIR are about to release IEP 2 which is VST/AU/AAX64 compatible, so the concern is they'll do here what they did w/ PMIO and put IEP 1.0 support back on Avid and not update it. Russ w/ PTExpert has sought a statement from AIR and we're looking at getting one in 2 days to clarify.

If they take the same tack they did with PMIO on this other IEP 1 thing, there will be more than just M-Audio Firewire owners annoyed.

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.