Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2004, 02:21 PM
drknob drknob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 35
Default We\'ve got one.

We got our ICON three weeks ago. It showed up in boxes in the morning and was operational by 5PM. It just worked. You definitely want the biggest, baddest G5 and some extra Accel cards, but out of the box, it's happening. In the three weeks we've been open, we've done mixes for Spike Lee, Disney, and currently have Phil Ramone and Dave Reitzas mixing a new project for Barry Manilow. The center section sounds quite good and we've used the headphone sends without any trouble. (yes they are polarity reversed...) We're happy.
__________________
Harold Kilianski
O'Henry Sound Studios
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
The Eggman The Eggman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 221
Default Re: We\'ve got one.

Quote:
We got our ICON three weeks ago. It showed up in boxes in the morning and was operational by 5PM. It just worked. You definitely want the biggest, baddest G5 and some extra Accel cards, but out of the box, it's happening. In the three weeks we've been open, we've done mixes for Spike Lee, Disney, and currently have Phil Ramone and Dave Reitzas mixing a new project for Barry Manilow. The center section sounds quite good and we've used the headphone sends without any trouble. (yes they are polarity reversed...) We're happy.
Harold,

How dare you jump in to say good things about the Icon. After all, Grivel, Wolfgang and Henchman have all put their two lousy cents in on what a misguided product that thing is. Really...Phil Ramone? What are his credits? Dave Reitzas? What does HE know? Barry Manilow? Hey, just because he's sold 100 million records, you think we should trust him?

come on...we've got the virtually unknown Grivel, Wolfie and Henchman to give us the REAL story on the Icon.

How dare you!


Of course, I'm kidding here. I tried to tell these young bucks that the Icon WOULD catch on, at least in music rooms. Now you know what's going to happen? Dave's going to want to do another project on one...your room will be booked, so other rooms will sprout up with the product...the next thing you know, there are a handful in every city...and then 10, and on and on.

You are the future...thanks for posting.
__________________
The Eggman
coo coo ca joob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2004, 04:30 PM
grivel grivel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 84
Default EGGHEAD

Eggman, I think too many eggs are going to your head. Or it must by those big macs.

>Now you know what's going to happen? Dave's going to want to do another project on one...your room >will be booked, so other rooms will sprout up with the product...the next thing you know, there are a >handful in every city...and then 10, and on and on.

>You are the future...thanks for posting.

I love when people get all emotional and blurt out whatever is on their mind.

>You are the future

This is a wicked line for marketing. Eggbrain, you should send this to digi. You truly made my day on these boring repetitive threads having to repeat and re-explain myself to the many dumb americans that exist on this board. Not everyone...just some. The ones that have to be told OVER AND OVER AND OVER the same things, but still, they are dreaming of hamburgler and fry guy.

You made my day!!!!!!!

P.S. Say hi to henchman for me
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2004, 04:47 PM
The Eggman The Eggman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 221
Default Re: EGGHEAD

Grivel,

I figured that even having Phil Ramone would not impress you. I'll let you know when David Hasselhoff or Right Said Fred gets up on the Icon. Keep coming up with those four-on-the-floor Euro drum patterns!
__________________
The Eggman
coo coo ca joob
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2004, 05:38 PM
mahler007 mahler007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 305
Default Re: EGGHEAD

Quote:
Eggman, I think too many eggs are going to your head. Or it must by those big macs.

This is a wicked line for marketing. Eggbrain, you should send this to digi. You truly made my day on these boring repetitive threads having to repeat and re-explain myself to the many dumb americans that exist on this board. Not everyone...just some. The ones that have to be told OVER AND OVER AND OVER the same things, but still, they are dreaming of hamburgler and fry guy.
Yeh- yer jus to smart 'fer us dum Americans, Drivel...
Can I have me some freedum fries with that ICON???

Now- if I could only find a way to stop "existing" on this board...

Andrew
__________________
Andrew McKenna Lee
Composer/Guitarist
Digi 002, PT 7.1, Mac G4 Dual 450
http://www.andrewmckennalee.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-10-2004, 11:43 PM
filmixer filmixer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City, CA, U.S.A.
Posts: 966
Default Re: We\'ve got one.

Hi drknob,
I saw Dave R. at RSPE a couple of weeks ago with Rich Nevens in a training/demo session. I know he liked it's feaures alot. What room did you set it up in? Is it a new room or did the ICON replace something? I'll like to come by and check it out. Are they using the ICON for surround mixing or regular stereo releases? I know you have a lot of vintage gear there, is that being used or are people staying inside the box? What's Phil Ramone eat for lunch? Are you doing any film scoring with the ICON. If so, how's that going? Thanks.
__________________
Mark Ettel C.A.S.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2004, 12:44 PM
drknob drknob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 35
Default Re: We\'ve got one.

We got the 32 fader version and put it in Studio C, which is primarily a mix room with overdub capabilities, so no scoring. We haven't done a surround mix yet, but the X-Mon has some cool 7.1 speaker trim features I'm just starting to get into. We had always thought of our DM2000 in that room as a temporary measure, so when we built the room we anticipated a new console installation at some point. We got the D-Control and G5 on Friday and had our first session Tuesday. (and we took Sunday off....) I hope we don't seem too pleased with ourselves.

If you'd like to see our place, gimme a call. 818-563-4200
__________________
Harold Kilianski
O'Henry Sound Studios
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2004, 01:05 PM
filmixer filmixer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City, CA, U.S.A.
Posts: 966
Default Re: We\'ve got one.

Yeh great, but what does Phil R. have for lunch? Thanks for the invite. I'll give you a call and maybe come over with Dave Rosen from World Link Digital. We're great at crashing in on studios.
__________________
Mark Ettel C.A.S.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 PM
RKrizman RKrizman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 478
Default Re: We\'ve got one.

Quote:
[
Harold,

How dare you jump in to say good things about the Icon. After all, Grivel, Wolfgang and Henchman have all put their two lousy cents in on what a misguided product that thing is. Really...Phil Ramone? What are his credits? Dave Reitzas? What does HE know? Barry Manilow? Hey, just because he's sold 100 million records, you think we should trust him?

come on...we've got the virtually unknown Grivel, Wolfie and Henchman to give us the REAL story on the Icon.

How dare you!


Of course, I'm kidding here. I tried to tell these young bucks that the Icon WOULD catch on, at least in music rooms..
Eggman, get a grip already. You know the reason these top guys are there is because it's O'Henry, which the out-of-towners should know is a top L.A. studio famous for it's great orchestral room, mix facilities, outstanding service, incredible vintage mic collection and an owner who spares no expense. In fact, in another thread I expressed my suspicions that Egghead is in fact the owner (or perhaps manager) of O'Henry.

Of course O'Henry has an Icon. I'm sure the Village will get one too, as well as a lot of other top studios for which the Icon is chump change and where a room for it already exists.

But the reason these top producers are at O'Henry at all, the reason why O'Henry has a longtime respected high-end clientel, is because of the great tracking room, the modified API, the mics and all the other great things that were there before the Icon. Believe me, without all that Phil Ramone would not be sitting there diddling those mushroom knobs.

Doesn't say anything about whether or not the Icon's any good. Let's keep it all in perspective, lest these discussion degenerate into more "one billion served" platitudes. (Barry Manilow?--sheesh!).

Critical discussion is good. It makes everything stronger. Excessive boosterism makes me suspicious in this world in which marketing drives everything.

-R
__________________
rickkrizman.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
The Eggman The Eggman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 221
Default Re: We\'ve got one.

Quote:

Of course O'Henry has an Icon. I'm sure the Village will get one too, as well as a lot of other top studios for which the Icon is chump change and where a room for it already exists.

-R
Kriz,

I'm glad to see that you're coming around finally. Your sentence there supports very nicely the position I have taken in every single exchange with you...that the Icon, contrary to your bitch-griping about it, was intended for pro facilities so as to further the practice of mixing ITB on a professional surface. It wasn't meant for home-studio hobby-ists who are looking for their next $15,000.00 surface.

Now we see that O-Henry is hosting Phil Ramone, Dave Reitzas and Barry Manilow. This very accomplished team could choose to be on ANY console of their choice in any facility of their choice. Yet, they are mixing ITB on the Icon ("just like you said, Eggman!"). In early July, when I pointed out to you that the Icon was primarily aimed at the top flight studios and engineers responsible for the mixing of pro product, you responded:

"I would think that those guys would just continue to mix analog. Just because the D-Control is big doesn't mean it will sound like an SSL."

Uh, good call, Kriz.

How interesting that the opinions of Phil, Dave and Barry are so wildly at odds with yours. That particular project is simply the beginning of the trend I've been predicting...the trend of mixing ITB using professional surfaces such as the Icon.

So Kriz, I'm glad to see you acknowledging that these products WILL be installed into the pro studios...YOU'RE FINALLY BEGINNING TO SEE THE LIGHT!

I remain your humble teacher, grasshopper...
__________________
The Eggman
coo coo ca joob
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com