Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Default Monitoring from PT interface and computer

Here's what I'd like to be able to do: I want to be able to monitor the computer's audio output and the Digi 003's output.

I know this is possible with using Coreaudio; but I've found it to be a hassle to switch between the two (I think they recommend you restart the computer when switching between monitoring from protools and the computer) - plus, I don't want to have to turn on the Digi interface if I'm only monitoring computer audio.

I've thought of buying a small cheap audio mixer to do the trick (like the $50 Behringer 502). That seems like the only solution under $100, besides a cheap AV switcher.

I don't love the idea of sending my audio through a cheap mixer's circuitry, but at least I wouldn't be using it's preamps. What would you all recommend?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Cool Re: Monitoring from PT interface and computer

Use the AUX input on your 003 to monitor your computers audio thru your 003:

See pg. 56 of the "003 Family Setup Guide," "Aux In (to Monitor) Switch."

It should be in your Pro Tools documents folder on your computer.

Hope this helps.

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Monitoring from PT interface and computer

Would I have to have the 003 powered on to do this?

Also, if I have the computer's headphone output routed to the Digi 003 or mixer, is there an easy way to switch between the output and my iMac's internal speakers? Family members use this computer and I don't want them to be playing everything through the reference monitors and I don't want to have to plug in and unplug a cable to switch. What would be cool is a menu in the dock to quickly switch between the headphone output and internal speakers.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Monitoring from PT interface and computer

Here's the kind of program I'm looking for:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18091/sound-menu
or
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26071/pthvolume

These all seem to do the same thing except they can't see the headphone output and internal speakers as separate outputs. I read somewhere that the Mac Pro can, but I'm using an iMac. Can anyone confirm this?