Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Default Overdubs being recorded LATE?

This is infuriating. Ive used PT9 with the Lynx Aurora 16/AES16 for two years with no problems. I am using it as a glorified tape machine. No plugins, no loops, no tempo changes, just basic tracks and...hopefully...overdubs. I use a mixing board and monitor that way. So, I record an overdub, listen back to it, and...it's LATE. LATE by a small amount, but definitely out of sync. How can this be? The basic tracks were recorded the same way, and they play in sync, but the overdubs don't line up. I am stumped. Hardware? Software? A bad sound card? Have I hit something in QuickKeys that now has decided to move the audio a certain amount? What could that be?
I have seen mentions of latency issues on these boards, but I hesitate to call it that, because I am not using any plug ins, and I am not monitoring the overdub signal thru the converters. Ive copied the session onto another drive, and the problem persists. I started a new blank session and...same thing. Overdubs are late. Late, Late, Late.
PLEASE anybody have any ideas or suggestions? Needless to say my work has stopped cold.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Overdubs being recorded LATE?

Not all latency is caused by plug-ins. With regular (non-HD/X) PT, the interface can also create significant latency. To keep it to a minimum, set your H/W Buffer Size (Setup menu/Playback Engine) to the lowest size your system will allow without problems. Since you're using no plug-ins, you should be able to use the very smallest one without problems. That may be 32 or 64, depending on the interface and its drivers. There will still be a tiny amount of latency, but most people consider it to be within acceptable bounds. It actually might be better to monitor through the interface if possible, so the musicians are hearing the timing of what's going down rather than perfectly real time. That way, they can adjust and lay down something that actually sounds perfectly in time.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB