Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 AM

Default Advice: Portable 002/3R Tracking rig

Hey all...

I have a couple of questions i could use some advise on. I need a portable Pro Tools recording rig to use with my 002R. The obvious answer is a laptop, but new windows laptops don't have firewire any more, unless i go for a gaming laptop. The next obvious answer is Macbook Pro, and I don't really want to spend that much money, or frankly, switch to a Mac for a secondary rig. I already have a Dell XPS15 that is running Pro Tools 10 incredibly well.

So, i guess i'm asking for opinions on older style laptops that i may be able to pick up second hand that have firewire. Or possibly the viability of building a portable desktop situation in a small case, like a lot of the contemporary media centre type computers out there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this scenario? I already have an old Dell Inspiron 9300 that i used to use for this. But it's old and on deaths door (i've had it for 5 years). I'm a big believer in not needing the most recent computer to do the job.. my current desktop in the studio is a 3.5 year old machine that STILL is rock solid and never runs out of grunt. So an older machine that i know will run PT 10 may be the perfect scenario.

Anyway.. thank in advance for your help.

MC
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Advice: Portable 002/3R Tracking rig

A used Mac Book Pro could be a budget alternative. But back to PC's, if your laptop is compatible, and has an expresscard slot, you can add a firewire card. There are also plenty of rack mount ATX computer cases on the market(and some are very affordable), so a rack chassis(4 space), a 002/003r and an 8 channel lightpipe preamp would give you 16 inputs(12 mic and 4 line) in 7-8 rack spaces. Add some cables for tagging of console direct outs, or insert sends, some XLR "Y" cords for splitting mics, a flat screen LCD, mouse and keyboard, and you're all set.

Some things to make it nicer:
some kind of UPS
convenient packaging or cases
a folding table(unless the rack case is a good height to set the keyboard/mouse/monitor on.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply Albee...

I currently have my studio computer in a 3 rack space case. It's fantastic.

This other rig i need to setup will have to be portable enough to take on a plane though. Hence me thinking laptop or a smaller case PC. The 002r and the Mackie Onyx i use are light enough, but the big rack mounted computer is a little too big for a plane i think.

I guess i'm just thinking about that middle ground between my awesome old Dell Inspiron 9300 and a newer computer. With just enough grunt that i can still run some basic virtual instruments/amp simulators as well as being able to record the audio.

Thanks again..

MC
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Oh yeah, with a fly rig, a used MacBook Pro would be even more attractive. You could even put the 003/ADA in a soft rack and take it all as carry-on(so the baggage handlers don't trash it). Put all the cables and other stuff in a Pelican case. If you must check the baggage, then I would get Pelicans for everything. They make one that will fit a 5 space rack and might come in under the 50 pound limit(I use this to fly a 6 mix IEM rack).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave