Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Need good guitar tone

I am new to recording and just have a laptop running protools with a Mbox hooked up. I like the way the amplitube sounds, but it sounds kinda processed and doesn't really have the sound of distortion and clean that I want. I have tried to make my own setting but it just doesn't seem like really good quality. So what I want to do is use my amp. I have a Crate halfstack GLX1200H and want to record it. I attempted this once before but it sounded like crap, probably because it was a vocal mic. But it seemed like the mic didn't really pick up the guitar sound. So should I buy a new mic or what do I need to do to make the recording sound like its coming right from my amp? Also, what are those preamps and racks all about. Sorry for the stupid questions but I am new at this and its kinda frustrating because I can play but I sure can't seem to record. Thanks ahead for any help.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Need good guitar tone

Amplitube sounds much better in context than it does on its own. I too have had the same problem with my Hiwatt using a variety of mikes from cheap to very expensive. An AKG C1000S has given the best results. Remember that with Amplitube, you might be monotoring with speakers or headphones designed for a broader frequency range than a guitar system, so it might just be a matter of getting used to it. At this point, I rarely mike my amp for I have found that going direct gives better results.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:12 AM

What kind of mic do you have?
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 04-02-2005, 09:14 AM

first off, Mic'ing a cab is a lot better than amplitube.
do you have a Shure SM57? what kind of vocal mic are you trying to use?

first thing you do is get a good amp sound in the room, second put the mic on the amp
and get a decent level going through the MBox, then put on headphones and go into the
room with the amp and while someone is playing the guitar move the mic around until you
find the sweetspot of the speaker. remember even a 1/2 of inch of moving the mic around
can sound like night and day.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:20 AM

i think the best solution for your pain is to purchase the standard Shure SM-57 instrument mic and aim it at the edge of your amps speaker and also use your amps direct out to go into the second channel of your mbox. that way you can blend the two tones together and experience the best of both worlds. the secret to good guitar tone is patience. also, if your trying to get a chunky rock tone like you hear on a lot of records today, you will need to mess with a lot of compression when you're mixing.
an easy way to experiment and learn is to import an already recorded guitar track, that sounds right to you, into your session, then use that as a guide for finding your perfect sound.
don't forget though, you are using budget recording gear and won't get the same tone you would get if you were running everything through a vintage neve and LA-2As.
take your time.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:16 AM

I have a variety of Shure mikes, including SM57s, Beyers, Sennheisers, AKGs, CADs, etc... I have miked 4X12s for the last 30 years and I do understand the significance of mike placement, but I do like Amplitube even though it doesn't remotely sound like my Hywatt. I guess it comes down to personal taste.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:47 AM

1) If you're using two mics facing remotely towards each other, you may well need to reverse the phase (pull up a digidesign eq and press in the phase button over one of the mic channels). If you don't do this, you'll have serious gain loss and a really bad sound- no matter what you stick at your cabinet.

2) is your mic in good condition? sound ok on vocals etc?

3) I think amplitube is actually quite good. I've fooled a couple of guitar purists on some albums i've used it on- much to there discust upon realising. I dig the British sounds. Give it a listen in context.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:29 PM

even though i don't love the guitar amp sims i do like guitar rig better than amplitube
Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 PM

I did not write the original post with the miking problem, mind you. To me, Amplitube is good enough to save me the aggravation of miking my amp most of the time. Hiwatts sound best when LOUD, and sometimes loud is too much, and with a bit of tweaking, Amplitube does the job and as you say, can fool quite a few purists. What you feed into it has a lot to do with the final sound as well. The main point here is that Amplitube is an adequate substitution for some stuff if one is willing to give it a good look.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I did not write the original post with the miking problem, mind you. To me, Amplitube is good enough to save me the aggravation of miking my amp most of the time. Hiwatts sound best when LOUD, and sometimes loud is too much, and with a bit of tweaking, Amplitube does the job and as you say, can fool quite a few purists. What you feed into it has a lot to do with the final sound as well. The main point here is that Amplitube is an adequate substitution for some stuff if one is willing to give it a good look.
it's not horrible i just personally don't like it a lot, but it all comes down to you getting the sound that you are looking for.

and for your Hiwatts
https://weberspeakerscom.secure.poww...eber/atten.htm