Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2023, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Downgrade from my Avid Omni to Mbox Studio?

After watching this review I think MT 48 is out of the question since it doesn't have dedicated line inputs that bypass the preamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHkijaj5SI&t=394s
Old 12-19-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But you are looking at an Mbox Studio not MTRX Studio?

I would go with any modern RME interface with no quarms about audio performance.
After much research I've upgraded from Avid Omni to RME UFX III for running PT Ultimate and other DAWs. Mbox Studio was on my short list but I wanted the lowest possible latency for VIs and a 1U form factor for starters. RME sound quality is exceptional as I expected. Also, I think RME has successfully moved beyond KEXT to the new Apple DriverKit for its drivers. I installed just the DriverKit version and all has been fast and stable here so far on a Mac Studio M2 Max. I'll not go back to KEXT unless this proves necessary for any reason. Regarding noise, no fan = totally silent. This is a big improvement from my Omni as I never did a fan mod.

I'll add my experiences with TotalMix FX, which I think is really excellent. As an Omni owner, it's best to view its built-in mixer window really as a standalone simple hardware mixer on the front-end, which it is. TotalMix is the same thing, albeit much more powerful and versatile. One of my main reasons for going with RME is that TotalMix totally bridges audio apps and signal flows ITB. I will have multiple loopback paths configured between Pro Tools, Logic, Bitwig, Audio Hijack and Zoom for production and streaming. My approach to configuring TotalMix has been to start by hiding everything, then revealing just the ins and outs that I need. This creates a very compact mixer front-end not unlike the Omni. As my needs grow, I can gradually reveal and configure more I/O paths in the mixer.

While only you can decide what's best for you, this has been my experience so far. Darryl, thanks for sharing your experiences when I was exploring upgrade options.

Sky

Mac Studio M2 Max 12/30/64GB/4TB, RME UFX III, Pro Tools Ultimate, MacOS Ventura.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Hi,

Wonder if anybody has tested Omni against the new Mbox Studio interface?
I wonder how the preamps, headphone outs, line inputs and conversion is on the Mbox Studio vs Avid Omni?

Is it a noticable downgrade or are they similiar in sound quality?
Or is maby Mbox Studio a little step up from my old Omni?

Will I be able to use my Pro Tools Ultimate softare with Mbox Studio?
I have not done a direct comparison OMNI to Mbox studio
However I (think I remember) I read somewhere that the Studio uses the same mic pre's and converters as Carbon (YOU should definitely confirm if that is indeed true ) Because IF that is true ,,, then IMO it will be an up grade from Omni in sound quality --- I went from OMNI to Carbon and it is my take that was it was a slight upgrade sound wise --- So if the Studio pre's and converters are even close to Carbons I seriously doubt you will notice a downgrade,,just my 2 cents.

That said However
You mentioned dedicated line inputs that by pass the pre amps So if you have some outboard gear you want to run ? You might want to elaborate on exactly what that means ? because seems the Studio is pretty limited as far as outboard gear capability

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-20-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
After watching this review I think MT 48 is out of the question since it doesn't have dedicated line inputs that bypass the preamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHkijaj5SI&t=394s

It does have dedicated line inputs and you can bypass the preamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It does have dedicated line inputs and you can bypass the preamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humm does it ? I went on the Neumann web site and read the web page and read Manual while it states Inputs 3 and 4 are Line/Instrument inputs it does not say they are true bypass ?? I suppose one could contact Neumann support to confirm .

I will make one more suggestion for the price of the Mt 48 one could also likely buy a good used Carbon (which does in fact offer true bypass on 8 channels via the DB-25 in out )
AND if the OP has more than say two -1 channel outboard units the Carbon will be more useful IMO than either the 48 or the Mbox

Not only that but with the Carbon you can have up to 8 mics connected (via the XLR's) and 8 channels of outboard gear connected (via the DB-25's) all simultaneously, and switch back and forth via the mic/line option, for any combination of 8 total

For example On my system I have 3 two channel outboard units
#1 a stereo Reverb unit
#2 a two channel tube Mastering compressor
#3 a two channel AEA Ribbon mic pre amp

So for example I have the AEA set up on inputs 1-2 via the DB 25 for my pair of AEA Ribbons for guitar.
BUT if I also had say a pair of SDC's for guitar I could connect some XLR cables for them in the XLR 1-2 connections which would mean I could use one or the other pair (by switching back and forth from the line to the mic input on the input knob) but not both ...But If for example I connected the SDC's into XLR 3-4 then I could record both pair simultaneously

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-21-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:55 AM

Chris is a Windows user, Carbon is presumably not an option.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:11 AM

Opps I forgot --- my bad

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...