Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2000, 07:21 AM

Default Inexpensive, yet powerful backup software for CDR users. Retrospect express!

Hello all,

I have been a retrospect user since it was released, Retrospect with AIT tape or any tape drive system is wonderful, but a bit more expensive and tapes do fail on rare occassions. I use it for my entire high end studio network...never a problem.

I bought Retrospect express yesterday for stand alone work stations, not on the network. It allows you to bypass the main problem with CDR backups. It give you the ability to stream files larger than 650 megs across multiple CDR discs. I would suggest Retrospect express as a very powerful, inexpensive back up system for those who already own CD burners, who want falwless backups for a low cost $49.00 for Retrpsoect express; at a decent data rate also, 20 to 35 megs a minute on backup and restore. This compares with dats dat, DDS 1,2 and even DDS3, with an 8* burner.

As lwillliam posted, regarding a review of Jam. Retrospect express is another boring program; it does exactly what it says it will do, without a crash, a problem or an error. Being able to stream 2 gig files or more, spanning across multiple CDR discs is great. A windows and Mac version comes with the package.

for those of you who do not backup; there are two kinds of computer users, those who have experienced a disaster/terrible crash....and those who will. I am using it in the back ground now on this station.

Regards

e
Old 05-04-2000, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Inexpensive, yet powerful backup software for CDR users. Retrospect express!

amen e...

I bought Retrospect Express when I got my Plextor 8/20 recently. Actually the main reason I originally got it was because I'm running OS 9 and Adaptec didn't have an OS 9 compatible version of Toast or DirectCD (don't actually know if they do yet). It turned out to be a real blessing.

I backed up my entire system drive (about 1.1 GB) to two CDRs in less than a half hour. I record my own material, typically not very large sessions though they can exceed 650MB, and it's looking like the 8/20 and Retrospect Express may be all the backup I need.

Best $45 I've spent in a long time.

Tom

P.S.: wish I felt as secure about all those god aweful Pace authorizations....

[This message has been edited by tld (edited May 04, 2000).]
Old 05-04-2000, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Inexpensive, yet powerful backup software for CDR users. Retrospect express!

This sounds pretty cool! That DVD-RAM drive will just have to wait another couple of years. Can you read CD #2 of 3, or is it like a lot of tape systems where your "TOC" is written on the last one of the set?

I HATE having to manually split my session folders - especially the audio files folder just to fit it into multiple 650MBs. Most of my completed sessions seem to be well over 650MB. Especially if I include all the multiple 40MB "bounce to disc" files.

You guys have a URL for it? Is it a WEB download/purchase?

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 05-04-2000, 01:20 PM

LW...

I got mine through ecost.com. It's actually much cheaper now ($39.73):
http://www.ecost.com/sales/detail.asp?dpno=38934&catalog_id=63&store=ecost&&s e t_id=4§ion=welcome

I think the stores are still selling version 4.1 but you can download the 4.2 upgrade from www.dantz.com. If I remember correctly 4.2 may be required for OS 9.

When you back up with retrospect express you create a backup set file that, by default, is stored in your retrospect folder. I believe this is what carries the TOC. I believe it has a function to build a TOC from the backup media if need be (if for example you loose the drive with the backup set files). It names the media disks with a sequential number followed by the name of the backup set file (for example 1-BackupSetA, 2-BackupSetA...)

I used my zip drive tools to create a recovery disk with a minimal mac OS, copied my retrospect folder to it, and set it as my boot drive in case of disaster. It works great. I tried booting from it and was able to run retrospect express from the zip no problem, it saw my CDR just fine, and I was able to restore a few files as a test. Now whenever I backup the system drive I copy the backup set file to that disk as well.

You can either back up an entire volume, or define a folder (and everything below it) as a 'sub-volume' and create a backup of that (to backup a single session folder for example).

While it's not an unattended backup, it's certainly good enough for my purposes, and it only cost me $45 in addition to the CDR I needed anyway to burn audio disks.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tld (edited May 04, 2000).]
Old 05-04-2000, 02:00 PM

lwilliam, tld,

I just finished a backup of 3, 9 gig drives @ 50 megs per minute at six times write speed. Restore times are as good as 100+ megs a minute @ 16 times speed. This is very good when compared with DDS drives.

lwilliam, the actual data is written to Retrospect set CD's the (members of the storage set); so if you put the CD members of the backup set in the drive, you dont see them on your desk top, without retrospect running. Simply ask Retrospect to restore the exact state of your disc drive/drives at any given time/date, or use the Retrospect very easy to use "sherlock like" search & file select functions to retsore by date, file type or kind, etc...and presto done. Retrospect asks for the CD set members it needs to complete the restore, with screen prompts, insert CD#7 from the storage set, "my cool back up" or whatever you named the set "band x set" etc....If you put in the wrong disc Retrospect will prompt you to select the proper disc.

Unlike toast if you mess up during a write to CD, selected the wrong files for back up etc..Retrospect will pause the CD writer and allow you to stop the session and update the file selections. Then it will begin again, on the same CD, no wasted CD space or wasted CD's.

Retrospect is one of those Mac applications that is like Word or Norton; it is rare to have an error or crash with it. It is peobably one of the most bullet proof applications ever written for the mac...It just won't hardly allow you to make mistakes.

Regards

e
Old 05-05-2000, 08:31 AM

Does the CD burner need to be able to do Packet Writes to work?

Would an older CDr work with Retrospect?

Thanks

------------------
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>The Greatest Risk in Life is Doing Nothing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-05-2000, 11:10 AM

They do require packet writing.

Here's the link to CDR compatibility info at the Dantz website:
http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=cdr_info

Tom

[This message has been edited by tld (edited May 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tld (edited May 05, 2000).]
Old 05-06-2000, 06:14 PM

My Imation USB floppy drive, required for ProTools authorization, came bundled with a copy of Retrospect Xpress. I ordered it from Outpost.

Old 05-08-2000, 12:18 AM

Doug. Doesn't V 5.0 use the challenge/response codes?

Also I use Norton AV safezone set for my floppy drive! (and desktop) There is a lot of MBDF-A/B out there.

I always download to a safezone.

e.

How's the FCP holding up?...always something to check out- www.ifilm.com
Old 05-08-2000, 01:25 PM

Sorry,

I have my problems to get Retrospect Express to work well. I bought it because of the good and satisfied opinions here.
I wonder if anyone REALLY used it.
My first backup attempt (a 3.2 GB session) ended with an error on CD number 6 (out of 6). I enabled the options varification and compression, was this my mistake?

Since this one failed I tried another session, 1.1 GB this time (2 CDs), same story, error found right before the end of the session. So 8 blanks wasted already! I was in good mood, NOT.
Since I know that my sessions are ok (drives and sessions were checked before) I was brave enough to try it again.
This time (the same 1.1GB session) with verification and compression turned off.
First thing I noticed was that Retrospect Express was a lot faster (maybe because their compression sucks?) and backing up the 1.1 GB session on 2 CDs worked well.

BUT:
I obviously asked for too much because I was trying to restore that session as well.
And no go, 6 errors found and I tried it 2 times.

Sorry guys, this piece of software is wasted money, I am glad I only wasted 50 bucks for a net purchase.
**** it is.

Someone may correct me on this one.