Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Where is this white noise coming from(11r+m5)

First i have the fx loop bypassed and it has a normal amount of noise when not playing but when i turn the fx loop on and just have the m5 on dsp bypass it is way noiser(8 seconds in the clip) and ive gotten multiple complaints from soundmen. Is this ground loop hum or just natural running two digital devices at once.

http://soundcloud.com/lundyjb/white-noise-8
Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Where is this white noise coming from(11r+m5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd0g33 View Post
First i have the fx loop bypassed and it has a normal amount of noise when not playing but when i turn the fx loop on and just have the m5 on dsp bypass it is way noiser(8 seconds in the clip) and ive gotten multiple complaints from soundmen. Is this ground loop hum or just natural running two digital devices at once.

http://soundcloud.com/lundyjb/white-noise-8
That link does not work.

Also what happens if you go out the FX loop and the loop is just a cable?

Without hearing it what effect in the M5 are you going after and are you sure there is not an effect something build into the Eleven Rack that would get you where you want to go?

What do you gave the Eleven Rack loop level set to rack or stompbox? (try both to see what sounds better).

Darryl
Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 AM

I know that I tried using an M5 in my FX loop in stereo and it was just noisey as all get out. I'm pretty sure that in my case it was from the cables since they were unbalanced and I have noise issues in this room to begin with. If you've got long runs I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't at least part of the cause.

It could be a ground loop if both units are getting power from different outlets.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:59 AM

Are you reffering to noise or hum? In case of noise: the loop of the 11R is very noisy when putting it in front of the amp model. Putting it after the amp model is pretty much noiseless.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Are you reffering to noise or hum? In case of noise: the loop of the 11R is very noisy when putting it in front of the amp model. Putting it after the amp model is pretty much noiseless.
This is my conclusion as well. And it sucks. I use a Droptune for practice and I just put it before the 11R. Way too noisy in the loop and it needs to be infront of the amp.