Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-26-2018, 08:15 AM

Default Educational Licensing Confusion - Perpetual License

Hello!

A few years ago I purchased a PERPETUAL license of PT12 at an academic discount (I work at an ALP.) I also purchased the yearly upgrade/support package. Now every year when I renew my upgrade/support package I have to confirm that I still work at the ALP and still qualify for the educational pricing. It's not a big deal because I do still work there and I do still qualify, but presumably that can't last for the rest of my life.

So if someday I no longer work at the ALP, what happens to my PERPETUAL license? Is it not, in fact, perpetual? Do I now have to fork over the difference between the educational and full price? I was under the impression that PERPETUAL meant just that - perpetual, ongoing, forever, independent of any employment or student situation. I was also under the impression that the upgrade/support package was a different product from my PT12 license, and therefor not related to my employment. Can someone please clear this up?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Educational Licensing Confusion - Perpetual License

BUMP

Really looking for an answer here, Avid. I have advised literally hundreds of students to purchase a perpetual license of PT under the educational pricing. I will no longer recommend purchasing if I do not get clarification.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 AM

Sorry for the delay.

The license is perpetual - it never expires. You get new versions of software while your Upgrade Plan is active, but if it lapses you could continue to run the versions already provided.

Your Upgrade Plan is priced at a discount for EDU status, but at some point if you no longer qualify then you should be able to renew/upgrade that at non-EDU pricing. I believe we are working to provide this option directly in my.avid.com but will escalate this to product management to verify.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanks, keep me posted! I am still a little confused by the answer, though.

Isn't the upgrade plan normally $99/year regardless of EDU/regular status? Or is it that my upgrade plan would "expire", and I would need to buy a "reinstatement" plan for $299 the first year and then $99/year after that? All of the marketing I've seen for new versions of Pro Tools seems to say something along the lines of "includes 1 year upgrade and support plan ($99 value!)", and you can definitely purchase a non-EDU upgrade plan renewal from Sweetwater for $99, so I fail to see how my upgrade plan is "priced at a discount for EDU status."
Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy_j_clomo View Post
...Isn't the upgrade plan normally $99/year regardless of EDU/regular status? Or is it that my upgrade plan would "expire", and I would need to buy a "reinstatement" plan for $299...
A new EDU Upgrade Plan with Perpetual License is $299 (instead of $599) and EDU Upgrade Plan Reinstatement is $99 (instead of $299). Renewal is $99.