Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Can't activate license for pro tools 12 upgrade

I am on protools perpetual, expires tmrw, don't think i'm going to renew it, but finally got around to installing pro tools 12, but it does not show up in my ilok and in my Application Manager it says that pro tools is not activated.

when i open pro tools it says it is not activated, that i have no licences, and none on the way.

searched the forums and google, am i the only one having this problem?

in my avid account it says that:
Licenses: Pro Tools 12 Bundle

But unable to open Pro Tools.

ps, is it worth upgrading another perpetual year?
I just use protools for the odd client, my main tool is logic.
If i opened out of the upgrade this year, how much would it cost to buy back in?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Can't activate licensee for pro tools 12 upgrade

If your avid account says you have the license, it means you haven't completed the steps to deposit the asset into iLok or you deposited it into another ilok account. Was this an upgrade? You should have had a moment during activation through avid to select the ilok account. THEN, you have to choose the iLok asset to upgrade (your old Pro Tools license). It won't be in your iLok account until you've finished that last step (where you forfeit your old license and it gets replaced with this new one). If you still see your old license in iLok and you were doing an upgrade, you haven't completed the steps.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If your avid account says you have the license, it means you haven't completed the steps to deposit the asset into iLok or you deposited it into another ilok account. Was this an upgrade? You should have had a moment during activation through avid to select the ilok account. THEN, you have to choose the iLok asset to upgrade (your old Pro Tools license). It won't be in your iLok account until you've finished that last step (where you forfeit your old license and it gets replaced with this new one). If you still see your old license in iLok and you were doing an upgrade, you haven't completed the steps.
hi there, happy new year and thank you for the reply..

Yes it is an upgrade from ProTools 11. I downloaded the DMG and all the plugins, etc.
I know that step you mean, but that step wasn't there, it just installed it, and said it was successful.
I've tried to manually add the license to the ilok but that's not possible i'm guessing.

Can you tell me how I can compete the steps now? Step by step.

I've tried both in my ilok app and signing into my avid account, and can't seem to find a way.
I have also tried reinstalling the program, and re-downloading it.

In Avid Application Manager it says on the Apps tab that I have Pro Tools 12.4 installed. under licensing tab it says: not activated.

Avid is really good at making me feel completely incompetent, I feel like a neanderthal trying to navigate all the accounts and installs etc. It gives me the experience of what Apple would've been without Steve Jobs
Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 AM

can anyone help me on this? currently unable to open my protools now.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie rokit View Post
can anyone help me on this? currently unable to open my protools now.
Did you put in a code on Avid's website? You've installed the software, yes, but you don't seem to have done any of the website stuff. Search youtube about how to do a Pro Tools 12 install/upgrade. Avid and others have done step-by-step install videos. You should be able to tell what you didn't get to.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Can't activate license for pro tools 12 upgrade

I looked up your account based on your community email and it shows your Pro Tools license bundle on your iLok 2, so Pro Tools should launch with that connected.

Also, the status of your Upgrade Plan doesn't affect your Pro Tools license since that's a perpetual (non-expiring) license.

Are you still having trouble?
Old 01-25-2017, 04:36 AM

Pro Tools 12.7 won't launch with my perpetual license. Help? Email same on forum and account. Application Manager claim my perpetual license is activated but launching 12.7 won't detect my license.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdsiu View Post
Pro Tools 12.7 won't launch with my perpetual license. Help? Email same on forum and account. Application Manager claim my perpetual license is activated but launching 12.7 won't detect my license.
Hi,

Forwarded your issue to licensing team. They should be in touch with you anytime soon through a support case.

Thanks,
TD
Old 03-20-2018, 11:57 PM

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue. PT 12.8 will not open with my perpetual license that expires 6/18/18. I have transferred the activation key on to my iLok but I'm unable to open PT. It says I don't have any licenses in my account. Please help.

Thanks,
SP

Last edited by Steadypizzle; 03-21-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadypizzle View Post
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue. PT 12.8 will not open with my perpetual license that expires 6/18/18. I have transferred the activation key on to my iLok but I'm unable to open PT. It says I don't have any licenses in my account. Please help.

Thanks,
SP
Perpetual licenses don't expire. It looks like you are referring to the Pro Tools 10/11/12 bundle which is a 30-Day NFR (not for resale). You do have a perpetual Pro Tools 12 license on your iLok (deposited 3/24/15), so best to deactivate the Pro Tools 10/11/12 bundle since that's temporary and redundant.

A Pro Tools 12 license will authorize versions 12.0 through 12.5.2, so you can download and install v12.5.2 from your account or you can upgrade that license to the current version.