Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Default New Mac Mini and Thunderbolt Symphony Mk II ain't talkin'

I just got a Mac Mini and connected it to my new Apogee Symphony Mk. II Thunderbolt and the Mac isn't seeing it.

I have it connected with an this adapter and this cable.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Re: New Mac Mini and Thunderbolt Symphony Mk II ain't talkin'

And you installed what version drivers for the interface?
Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And you installed what version drivers for the interface?
Well, I installed the latest software and it runs fine and says "No System" with a red dot, i.e. it's not seeing the Symphony.

Are there drivers separate from the software?

I have the latest firmware updater too and it also does not see the symphony.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM

Yes the drivers are included in that.

Troubleshooting 101... does the device show up in Audio MIDI setup. If no then your problem has nothing to do with Pro Tools. If it does... then double check all the options under Playback Engine to make sure you have the correct driver selected.

My guess is you have a driver being blocked with a security warning at install that you have not noticed and not correctly acknowledged in Settings & Preferences > Secuity & Privacy and the driver is being blocked by the OS entirely (which will cause it to not appear In Audio Midi Setup). Once you get beyond that it will also be blocked as a Mic input (inputs in the interface don’t deliver sound to Pro Tools) and you need to allow those inputs in Privacy & Security.

I am pretty sure Apogee Digital has instructions about installing on Mojave and you *need* to be following those.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes the drivers are included in that.

Troubleshooting 101... does the device show up in Audio MIDI setup. If no then your problem has nothing to do with Pro Tools. If it does... then double check all the options under Playback Engine to make sure you have the correct driver selected.

My guess is you have a driver being blocked with a security warning at install that you have not noticed and not correctly acknowledged in Settings & Preferences > Secuity & Privacy and the driver is being blocked by the OS entirely (which will cause it to not appear In Audio Midi Setup). Once you get beyond that it will also be blocked as a Mic input (inputs in the interface don’t deliver sound to Pro Tools) and you need to allow those inputs in Privacy & Security.

I am pretty sure Apogee Digital has instructions about installing on Mojave and you *need* to be following those.
It was something to do with System Settings > Privacy and Security > Allow Apogee... yada yada. The window appeared BEHIND all my open windows. I installed the v2 Symphony software, saw the Allow dialog, and it (v2) worked so I installed v3.1 again and it worked.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Yep common problem with Mojave. Glad you got it fixed.