Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2018, 04:37 AM

Default Do I need a Pro Tools Native Card?

I've been using Pro Tools since version 7.4 and have recently been taking on bigger and bigger projects. Track counts are starting to be troublesome and I was looking into Pro Tools Ultimate/HD Native

I currently use an Apogee Symphony with an Apogee PCIe 64 card connecting it via digilink cable.

Would I need to buy Pro Tools Ultimate software, and also a Pro Tools PCIe card to run Ultimate?

Or could I purchase the software upgrade only and keep my current setup?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Do I need a Pro Tools Native Card?

If track counts is the only issue then in theory just buy the software.

If the 32 input/output Pro Tools CoreAudio IO limits are the issue then you need Avid HD Native or HDX cards (not CoreAudio) and Pro Tools HD or Ultimate software.

We don’t care how long you have been using Pro Tools... what would have been useful is what version of Pro Tools are you running today on exactly what Mac and OS version? And what version of Ultimate/HD do you want to run? Current perpetual licenses give you 10/11/12/2018 bundles. The biggest issue you face is making sure the version of Pro Tools Ultimate you want to install is compatible with your OS, plugins and the Apogee PCIe 64 drivers are also compatible with that OS. You need to do your homework there.

And understand the annual costs to keep Ultimate up to date, and much more if you let that lapse and want to re-up the license.

And if you did want to go Avid DigiLink the complications are their HD Native PCIe card is no longer available from Avid... so you are buying used HD Native card, or a HDX card or getting a new Mac with Thunderbolt so you can use the Thunderbolt HD Native box. And you will need to purchase a DigiLink license if you want to run more recent Versions of Pro Tools 12 Or 2018 Ultimate. Likely all reasons to stay well away from doing that unless you really need to.

You can test compatibility with Pro Tools standard or a free (?) one month trial of 2018 Ultimate).
Old 11-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the information, it sounds like a huge headache just get double my track count really. I didn't realise they don't sell PCIe cards anymore.

I'm using a 2010 Mac Pro on High Sierra, so no thunderbolt for me. My Apogee PCIe 64 works fine and I'm running Pro Tools 2018.10. It didn't seem relevant in my post, the not caring how long I've been using Pro Tools was pretty harsh and unnecessary if I'm honest but thanks for the reply regardless

I'd want to literally just port over to Ultimate but I only need the track count. Considering the costs it's probably not worth it, especially considering what you say about the Digilink license.

I think I'll just bounce down tracks if needs be.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:04 PM

If you are already on 2028.10 standard and all you want to do is increase track (not IO) counts then just buy a Ultimate license and stick it on your iLok, dead simple and quick, not even any software to install. And you know already there are no compatibility issues because it is working. Cost you US$2k... which is a less than any other option involving DigiLink which all require Ultimate software anyhow.

What I said about the DigiLink license???? Oh my bad, what I wrote was not clear..., you only need that if you are going HDX or HDN card. And you don’t need to do that. I didn't mean to make it seem harder... if you did want to go HDN or HDX then we can explain all that in more detail.

How long you have been using Pro Tools *is* totally irrelevant, what was relevant is information about your system and what exactly you are trying to do.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-24-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 PM

So another thing to clarify is if your MacPro is choking on the track counts you are currently attempting or seeking with PT 2010.8. They've really unlocked a lot of power on the basic PT (FYI I run vanilla on a HotRod PC and PT Ultimo on a HotRod MacPro) Besides the fact that I can run Ultimate with an HDX interface to my Mac, there ARE software features that are only on that config...Surround, Field Recorder options and other Post Production goodies that are mostly needed for my TV Audio PP work. Over on my PC I'm not in need of those features for the Music Creation work I do with it, so it's down to interface i/o and the speed of your native MacPro, since you wouldn't have the HDX DSP assist...again possibly a non starter at the end of the day. Bottom line is you may be fine with PT Vanilla, which is no slouch.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 AM

Thanks again this have pretty much cleared up any questions I had. I've seen thing about the digilink license and wasn't sure if I'd need one running Ultimate 2018.10 and using my Apogee PCIe card.

I might try a month on subscription when I next get a demanding job and go from there with it. It's literally just track counts that I'm starting to struggle with and I'd rather not start rendering aux's etc to clear tracks out. It's nicer to have control over everything.

Again, thanks for your help.

Tonepad, just to clarify my system is running fine with maxed out track counts, as in I can't make any more tracks in the session. I'm only using about 50% CPU. It's more that I run out of actual tracks in my sessions when I get sent huge sessions, add drum triggers etc etc.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:04 AM

As far as Avid software is concerned your Apogee PCIe card is only ever a CoreAudio device. Pro Tools can’t see beyond that Apogee provided CoreAudio driver and know or care what the physical bus connecting that card to the interface is. If you use a Avid HD Native card, oy vey, completely different. It’s not a CoreAudio device, Pro Tools talks to it more directly, more efficiently, .. and without marketing forced IO limits etc. And for that privilege you need a DigiLink license after Pro Tools HD 12.6.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-27-2018 at 10:41 AM.