Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2002, 03:37 AM

Default Pro Tools LE 5.1.1 on laptop?

I'm currently running 5.1.1 with a Digi 001 on my G3 Macintosh at home. Problem is, my drum set is across town in a warehouse -- which means I have to record drums on a cheap 4-track and then dump it into Pro Tools when I get home. My audio fidelity suffers.

So, I've been thinking about getting a cheap laptop (Windows-based) specifically for running Pro Tools so I can record while on-the-go.

Anybody know if Pro Tools can run on a Windows laptop?

And if it is possible, does anybody have any recommendations as for what type of laptop would be best for this kind of usage? (Keeping in mind that I want the cheapest thing I can get that will function well. I don't want the laptop to crash on me all the time.)

In other words, what Pentium chip would suffice for this kind of use? Do I have to get the latest and greatest Pentium 4? Or can I skimp and go for the Pentium II or III? What about RAM? Do I have to have 256, or will 192 or 128 be ok? (FYI, I've seen the compatibility page on Digidesign's web site, but it's not really clear from the information on this page how much performance will suffer if I go the cheapskate route.)

Also, if Pro Tools 5.1.1 can run on a laptop, how much of my current Digi 001 hardware/software from my G3 setup at home can I keep using and what additional items would I need to buy? (For example, I'm assuming that I can keep using the Digi 001 hardware, but I thinking that maybe I'll need to buy another Digi 001 PCI card for the laptop? or could I just transfer the card from my G3 into the Windows laptop?)

Oh, and one last question: will I be able to transfer files back and forth between the Mac and the Windows laptop? I think I read somewhere that this ability to swap files between Mac and Windows is supported, but I don't remember if that was for version 5.1.1 or for a later version...

Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

-B
Old 07-08-2002, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 5.1.1 on laptop?

If you already dump from 4tk with no probs I think you'll be better off other solutions not by digi.

Your options today...

If you go on laptop you can choose between a mac laptop or a pc laptop.
I think mac is the better choice for a mac user because you'll seamless compatibility.

Digidesign:
The options from digi design at this time aren't much.

MBox: the only true portable solution with Pro Tools, capable of 2ins. use the USB interface.
Pro Tools FREE: 8track Pro Tools with 2ins from any soundcard. this solution is THE WORST because the PTF version is 5.0.1 and it's got huge latency and problems especially on PC.

Magma Chasis: if you want true portable rig then Magma is the way. Magma simply lets you put PCI cards inside external box and connect them via PCMCIA i/f. so you'll be able to use Digi001/TDM or any PCI based cards.
It works on PC and Mac still digi approved only Mac and today mac is the best way to go with PT.
the problem... Magma costs about 1000$!

Solution I think you should consider:
MOTU gots some nice Firewire interface with 8ins or so. It works with DP and other 3rd party tools (not digi). you can record on DP or something and dump it into pt simply by importing or by optional OMF.
I think it's the best options for your needs still price is a major factor.

Portable System:
I don't want to open mac/pc debate but PCs are stronger in horse-power compared to price/performance on the mac side. (until digi start utilizing DualCPU & the Velocity Engine).
That's means you should expect nice Pentium III with 733 upto 1Ghz to run great. P4s aren't worth it and you won't get such plugin/track count difference.

STILL I would suggest for you to go on the beloved mac. you can buy used G3s/500 cheaper and keep the same enviorment and power you have with your current system.

Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2002, 05:12 AM

>"The options from digi design at this time aren't much."

Certainly, your question's will receive many nonobjective opinions...why not do a search & find out what others are doing in "very similar" circumstances...

The TDM users have really come up with some "unique" mobile units...

Old 07-08-2002, 05:53 AM

Somce this is he Mac forum, you might want to ask this question on the Windoze side.