Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Avid

Lightbulb Speaker Breakup

I wanted to say a few things about the new Speaker Breakup feature in Eleven Rack, so all of you can get the most out of it. My personal and very biased opinion is that it's a fantastic feature, which makes Eleven Rack sound even better, so it's definitely worth checking out. Also, the algorithm has been totally redesigned from what's in the Eleven Plug-In and has a completely different control taper, so I suggest discarding any preconceived notions. But regardless, I think you'll like the new one even better.

When you first start playing around with speaker breakup I recommend using headphones, because usually the difference is a little more noticeable. While any preset will work just fine, I think some presets do a better job of showing off the difference that breakup makes. Bolder Axe and Browntown are particularly good choices.

Under the hood the breakup control is mapped to numerous parameters, so that the user can get a considerable range of sounds from a single control. The speaker breakup algorithm is a combination of cone breakup, speaker "compression" and other types of speaker distortion. In a very simplified sense the breakup control adjusts the amount of breakup distortion and it also adjusts the amount of natural speaker "compression". The speaker compression is not really like any compressor effect you're used to, so I used the term "compression" loosely. Anyhow, it mainly affects high frequencies, so the sound tends to get darker as this compression is increased. Sometimes it can also sound as if there is less breakup when the sound gets darker from this compression, even though the actual amount breakup distortion may have increased.

Around 1.0 to 2.0 on the dial the algorithm adds a relatively subtle "smoothing" of the high-end, although even this setting can be quite obvious on certain material. By about 3.0, speaker compression kicks in fully, which results in a somewhat darker sound. At about 5.0 there is less compression, but more breakup distortion. Above 8.0, the speaker breakup distortion starts to become more extreme than what would typically occur in an actual guitar speaker. These higher settings tend to work better with darker-sounding cabs. And as a general rule high gain amps work better with lower breakup settings, while low-to-medium-gain amps often work well with higher breakup settings.

More specifically there are a number of nice effects that breakup can have on your sound. For one, the algorithm only kicks in when you are pushing the amp and speaker really hard, so it will have virtually no effect on purely clean tones or on distorted tones with the master volume turned way down. But if you set the amp right you can get nice clean tones with your volume backed off and raging distortion and breakup with the volume maxed. In other words, it can make the sound more expressive and responsive.

Also, it makes the transition from clean to distorted smoother and more gradual. Without it there is a clearer transition at the point when the power tubes start clipping. This can be a big benefit for moderately clean tones, because transients that clip don't stick out as being obviously distorted, but instead sound "smoother". In other words, without breakup the harder you play you get: clean, clean, clean, clip, clip Whereas with breakup as you play harder you get: clean, clean-ish, slight clip, more clip, lots of clip.

At certain settings (e.g. 3.0) the speaker compression dominates, so generally you get a darker sound the harder you play. This can smooth transients in a nice way. Of course, it will depend on the particular application and what you're going for.

And last but not least, it can smooth out high-end "fizziness" from tube clipping. Even tubes can hard clip if you drive them hard enough, which results in very high frequency harmonics. To me these very high harmonics sometimes sound as if they are separate from, or sit on top of, the main guitar sound. With breakup I would describe the sound as being more integrated. In other words, the low frequencies and the high frequencies better blend together to create a unified sound.

Ultimately I think it's more realistic, but I'll let all of you be the judge of that.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Speaker Breakup

Quite an explanation chris. Thank you. These little (well not so little) tidbits can be quite helpful!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks a lot Chris!
I'm looking forward to dialing in some awesome sounding guitar.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Avid

We also made it so that you can keep Speaker Breakup on when you're using the Outputs to Amp without the cab. It can sound really nice feeding a tube amp. Adjust to taste. But remember it's still on when the cab is off!

(You can turn it off in each Rig by just setting it to 0.0)
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
We also made it so that you can keep Speaker Breakup on when you're using the Outputs to Amp without the cab. It can sound really nice feeding a tube amp. Adjust to taste. But remember it's still on when the cab is off!

NICE! Can't wait to try that out.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 AM

Stupid question, where and how do I get this pack, surely its ready for release, its 9:25am GMT 22nd March already!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
We also made it so that you can keep Speaker Breakup on when you're using the Outputs to Amp without the cab. (...) But remember it's still on when the cab is off!

my setup is the following:

pre-recorded DI-Signal -> Eleven Rack Preamp/Poweramp Sim -> Redwirez IR

Is it possible to use the speaker breakup feature AFTER the Redwirez IR's and would they benefit from speaker breakup, equally? Or is speaker breakup meant to be used BEFORE the Cab Sim, anyway?

Thank you in advance, Kwinn from Germany
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwinn View Post
my setup is the following:

pre-recorded DI-Signal -> Eleven Rack Preamp/Poweramp Sim -> Redwirez IR

Is it possible to use the speaker breakup feature AFTER the Redwirez IR's and would they benefit from speaker breakup, equally? Or is speaker breakup meant to be used BEFORE the Cab Sim, anyway?

Thank you in advance, Kwinn from Germany
Listening to speaker breakup settings may be driving me a bit crazy. It sounds like the speaker breakup is on even when the cab and/or amp blocks are off. That was kind of a surprise, even with the warnings posted here that speaker breakup is on when the cab is off, but on when the amp is of as well? The speaker breakup us pretty subtle but I believe I can hear it even when the amp block is off (and reamping a louder signal though the Eleven Rack). Somebody tell me I'm imagining it.

So if I'm correctly hearing things you could work speaker breakup either way -

Eleven Rack with amp sim & speaker breakup (cab off) > Redwirez

and compare that to signals reamped twice using

Eleven Rack with amp sim & no breakup (cab off) > Redwires > Eleven Rack & speaker breakup (amp and cab off).

Given how subtle it is in the first place I'd be surprised if there is a noticeable difference.

Darryl
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM

So what did you all do, to include this in the ERXP? just optimize the algorithm? I think it sounds better in the 11R than in the software which i also have, or maybe im going crazy or deaf, or both

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 AM

Thanks Chris, it will be great if it does really tame the high end fizz. Hopefully I can dump Red Wirez, for the most part, except for stereo tracks maybe.