Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Avid artist control disconnect

Thanks god i'm not a donkey. I get it back to my reseller and i purhcase an Icon Qconpro, I'm waiting for it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiRax View Post
Thanks god i'm not a donkey. I get it back to my reseller and i purhcase an Icon Qconpro, I'm waiting for it.
That is a very nice control. I never heard about it until now. Keep us posted it about how the control behave with Protools. I'm very interested. Good Luck.

Luis
Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 AM

I've been noticing something about EUCon that absolutely baffles me.

On my Macbook Pro (10.6.8), EUCon blasts 20 UDP packets every second, via WiFi, out to an IP that isn't on the network. Three IPs in total, 224.1.239.2, 224.1.239.42 and something else I can't remember. Those are not Artist series IPs, they are for the MC Pro (see here).

One of those is a "discovery" IP, fair enough. But even if I had that kind of device, I would be using ethernet to connect to it? So why are these packets going out over WiFi, even if I have selected Ethernet in my EuCon Preferences panel.

The kicker is this UDP traffic eventually kills my internet (wifi) in a pretty brutal way wherein my otherwise very reliable router slows down all WiFi traffic to a halt, or locks up its LAN interface (if I use a secondary base station) requiring a cold restart.

I've no idea if Avid/Euphonix software engineers read here, but I darn sure would appreciate one of them explaining what the flying hey they've tried to do and obviously didn't go as they thought.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
I have selected Ethernet in my EuCon Preferences panel.
Interesting - where is this option ? I've not noticed such an option in the EuControl Settings panel, but could easily have missed it.

Rather, I'd have assumed EuCon would simply use whatever network internet the Mac is set to use via OSX System Preferences. I imagine some people might well use a laptop wirelessly with MC devices - which themselves connect via wired ethernet to the wireless router.

I'm not sure why EuCon is sending this stuff. Has it definitely "found" all your surfaces OK ? Do the surfaces actually work ?

That said, in the grand scheme of things, 20 packets a second is absolutely nothing. At least, in terms of volume on the wire. If it "kills your Internet", I fear you must have a router that's far too easily killed. Might be worth trying a better/different router.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
... and he is absolutely right. I've been having the same problems with the latest version of PT and the latest version of the firmware and EuCon, on Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I think this is ridiculous. There are so many obvious issues with the software, and to summarise them in one word, it is: unreliable.

shame for all the sweat that has gone into the hardware.

here
DCHP off. Macbook at 10.2.2.1, Artist Control at 10.2.2.2. Netmask at 255.255.255.0

enabling DHCP on both without restarting EuCon

then clicking on the grey E

Network error window appears
Attempting to attach device, no success. Network error window again.

Quit EuControl

Quit MC_Client from Activity Monitor (not Force Quit)

Cycle artist control power

Launch EuControl

(spinning E)

.. and so at this point there is no application name at the top left corner of the touch screen.
I've tried reinstalling, trashing preferences, everything other than restarting the computer (which I'm totally unwilling to do on a daily basis, just to get this one device working)
Just curious as to why you are using 10.2.2.x addresses. While the 10.x.x.x address range is a valid non-routable range, you don't often see it outside of corporate networks...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Just curious as to why you are using 10.2.2.x addresses. While the 10.x.x.x address range is a valid non-routable range, you don't often see it outside of corporate networks...
What do you expect him to use ? 192.168.x.y ? That's more typing, when you think about it.

FWIW I use 10.0.0.x, and my MC devices are quite happy.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-euphonix View Post
What do you expect him to use ? 192.168.x.y ? That's more typing, when you think about it.

FWIW I use 10.0.0.x, and my MC devices are quite happy.
Whichever IP address you guys use 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 (Class "C" IP address) or 10.2.2.1 and 10.2.2.2 (Class "A" IP address) both are correct
Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Interesting - where is this option ? I've not noticed such an option in the EuControl Settings panel, but could easily have missed it.
System Preferences > Eucon > Network Interface. Mine has nothing to drop down, but has always said Ethernet in there, frankly, I have no idea why.

Quote:
Rather, I'd have assumed EuCon would simply use whatever network internet the Mac is set to use via OSX System Preferences. I imagine some people might well use a laptop wirelessly with MC devices - which themselves connect via wired ethernet to the wireless router.
True, but it makes sense to probe the network once, then only work with the interfaces where the traffic makes sense.

Quote:
I'm not sure why EuCon is sending this stuff. Has it definitely "found" all your surfaces OK ? Do the surfaces actually work ?
It finds my surface OK and talks to it all the time, over Ethernet, while blasting more UDP packets into the nothingness over WiFi while the DAW transport is running.

Quote:
That said, in the grand scheme of things, 20 packets a second is absolutely nothing. At least, in terms of volume on the wire. If it "kills your Internet", I fear you must have a router that's far too easily killed. Might be worth trying a better/different router.
I beg to differ on this one. Any decent router with a stateful firewall will actually hang on to those packets for a bit. The contents of those packets also makes a difference. My router doesn't die in the very first minute. Actually if I'm on its wifi I just kill all traffic. If i'm on another basestation's wifi and the basestation is connected to the router's LAN, I kill the router's ethernet interface.

The software engineers could figure out which interface will be used to communicate to the device(s) and to not shout UDP in the nothingness.

They could stick to using only that interface, and to restrict mix&match of interfaces in the software and documentation.

Certainly in that preferences panel one could just indicate what devices they have and which network interfaces to use. That has got to be easy!

And maybe they could open a slow TCP connection over whichever interface and to make sure that's alive every now and again, rather than pollute the network space with junk that creates backlog for any device trying to be intelligent and failing. I love UDP to bits and have done my share of projects with it, so have nothing against the protocol. And I realise that "it's complicated", don't get me wrong. But this is appalling as it stands.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lberrios1962 View Post
Whichever IP address you guys use 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 (Class "C" IP address) or 10.2.2.1 and 10.2.2.2 (Class "A" IP address) both are correct
Not quite correct...

Most "home" networks use the 192.x.x.x address range, and 10.x.x.x devices will not be "seen" on those networks.

Check the address of the LAN side of your router, then use that address range...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Not quite correct...
Most "home" networks use the 192.x.x.x address range, and 10.x.x.x devices will not be "seen" on those networks.
Check the address of the LAN side of your router, then use that address range...
wifi = 192....
ethernet direct via cable to eucon device = 10....

ok?