Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-14-2020, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro 5,1 Cost effective NVMe SSD drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Hi Darryl

Yes no raid for sure. I did look at this adapter card and it does look like a nice solution, however still a couple hundred $ and hoping to avoid that cost. I realize we may be spending dimes-of-time to count pennies here, but that's were its at for some people, so I believe it helpful to go further down the road.

On aside >>this requires the x16 connector in the Mac Pro 5,1, which while available in this config and the performance would be nice, it could not be migrated to an HDx 5,1 rig down the road (HDx requires the 2nd slot for the Core card some reason, at least that is what I remember from the install guide). Maybe the HD cards do work bumped down the line one slot, contrary to the install guide recommendation, I have not researched. I realize this not in the original question, but could be a consideration for some.<<

I understand that bus speed of PCIe version 2 x4 lanes is 2.0 GB/s. In the case of a dumb dual card, does this mean we should see around 1GB/s r/w per m.2 SSD if both busy on one x4 dumb adapter card? If so, that would be perfect for this case. . . sure it would not be leveraging the speed of these m.2 x4 SSDs, but it would be very good performance on a low budget, plus when it is time to upgrade to a different computer these m.2 SSDS can be moved forward to the next system and the greater performance realized.

I still feel I am on the hunt for a dumb dual m2 adapter card with decent cooling. What am I missing in my thinking?

Thanks. . .
In the 5.1, Keep in mind sometimes the pcie ssd or nvme cards don't run at full speed in the 5.1 in slot 2 x16 slot. I don't know why. But some people have had this issue. I have to use my pcie sonnet ssd raid card in slot 4 in a 5.1 to get full disk speed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2020, 11:30 PM

Anyone tried the OWC Accelsior 1M2 M.2 SSD to PCIe 4.0 Adapter Card OWCSACL1M in the 5,1 Mac Pro with a decent NVMe PCIe x4 SSD?

What r/w performance resulted?

It should work well... it states: “supporting PCIe 4.0/3.0/2.0/1.0 motherboards and able to plug into x4/x8/x16 PCIe slots”.

Last edited by Howardk; 12-16-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:18 PM

Some items arrived today:

A quick test in a 5,1 Mac Pro(using Black Magic Speed Test), resulted in:
  • 1427/1481 MB/s w/r
Not too bad, IMO. . . a tiny bit faster than an Apple System SSD in a 2013 Mac Pro. I'd like to try the OWC Accelsior 1m2 with the same SSD, but it is not easy to get in Canada. . . and this likely is already as fast as x4 lanes of PCIe.2 can go in the 2010 Mac Pro... which is why the https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?ro...product_id=992 card mentioned earlier in the thread is interesting (switched)... but it would have to go into an x16 slot in the 5,1 in order to switch the x4 SSD across more lanes for greater speed.

This is good performance already, enough for anything I need.

Last edited by Howardk; 12-24-2020 at 01:15 AM.